Coolant loss - 2008 159

Started by tools99, November 25, 2019, 11:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tools99

So I've gone through a steep driveway entry today and there was a thud on the underneath of the front of the car, didn't really think much of it to start.
Then upon climbing the multi-storey car park I start seeing steam rising from the bonnet!

I shut the car down immediately and seems I've lost all coolant from the radiator and the reservoir!

Not sure what has happened yet as I'm sitting in work and haven't had a chance to get under the car.
Hoping it's just a hose that's come off! Has anyone got any ideas or had this happen?

Cheers! :)

Pseudonym

Well it's all plastic at the radiator so maybe that's cracked - or there are a bunch of other plastic coolant lines on both sides that can crack as well

bazzbazz

How can a 159 lose coolant . . . . . let me count the ways . . . . .  ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

Tools, you might want to have a look at the photo on Andrew's (V AR 164) preceding thread which shows the deconstructed front end of his 159. That'll give you an idea of how many things can go bung ...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

Quote from: poohbah on November 25, 2019, 07:25:25 PM
Tools, you might want to have a look at the photo on Andrew's (V AR 164) preceding thread which shows the deconstructed front end of his 159. That'll give you an idea of how many things can go bung ...

Sorry, but the phrase "what could possible go wrong?" is ringing loudly in my ears.   ;D

My apologies for being a complete lack of help and information, but you kinda did as a VERY open ended question.   ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

kaleuclint

So far I've had radiator hoses perish and two cracked header tanks.  The latter shouldn't result in a sudden and total coolant loss.  Check your hoses!
2011 159ti 1750TBi