79 Alfetta sedan Dash trim removal

Started by sudsy, November 24, 2019, 03:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudsy

Needing to remove one of the fake wood trim pieces on the centre console of the dash in a 79 sedan

Left side almost want to come out. For fear of forcing and snapping the piece is there a vulcan nerve pinch trick to get this out..?

Ive researched and cant find an answer Haynes BOL useless as usual..

Thanks

Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

bonno

Difficult to see from your screenshot, but here is the centre console removed from vehicle with several photos (front and rear assembly). Does not appear to have any screws or lock tabs securing veneer panel to console and it is just a matter of gently lifting off, with a supply of heat to soften backing adhesive (of course removal of vents is necessary). The top veneer appears to be the same. Hope this helps.
http://m.marktplaza.nl/auto-diversen/onderdelen-alfa-romeo/overige/alfa-romeo-alfetta-sedan-dashboard-console-deel-used-71095392.html

sudsy

Thanks Bonno..

Great resource, but I'm still not to sure whether the top strip is held in by those (what appear to be) pop rivets, or if the trim piece pops into footings behind those two round recesses.

Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

bonno

My guess is that the top trim should lift off by applying heat with heat gun/hair drier to soften the adhesive backing of trim (lift corner gently).  The rivets shown are used for the assembly of chassis/frame of the centre console. But to be absolutely sure you will need to remove the centre console and see whether the top trim is not fastened/secured at the 4 holes shown.

sudsy

Thanks everyone..

All sorted.. Haven't removed the trim, but no need to now.

The job was to permit me to start the recovering process of the dash board.
I'm doing it in several bite size stages, and removing that trim was to allow me to neatly apply the new vinyl material invisibly between the dash and that trim.
However, with a bit of patience I managed to gently open the divide along the gap and slide the new material in and under.

The top deck of the dash is still a total mess, but at least the front facia section is now looking much better, especially as all the vents are now present and complete and the excess goop that the PO had applied to keep said vents in place has now been removed.

Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta