Oil on rocker cover around ignition coil (2011 Giulietta QV 1750 Tbi)

Started by ae, October 03, 2019, 06:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ae

I was looking over my wife's 2011 Giulietta QV, and saw oil marks on the rocker cover around where the ignition coil goes into the head. I don't think there should be evidence of oil here. I thought the rocker cover gasket might need changing. But from pictures of the gasket for the 1750 Tbi engine, I don't see that the gasket seals around the spark plus wells (e.g. the first picture on this page: https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/parts/Giulietta_Gasket_Rocker.shtml). So not sure if replacing this will solve the issue.
Any suggestions of why there could be oil there?
TIA!

bazzbazz

There are two places that oil in the spark plug holes can come from -

A/ Oil getting past the Rocker Cover Gasket (The black plastic looking part that sits on top that is part of the Crankcase Ventilation system)

B/ Oil seeping from the sealant that seals the upper half of the Camshaft Carrier to the lower part of the head.

Here it seems the majority of the leaks are from the the Rocker Cover Gasket and very rarely from the the joint between the top and bottom half of the head. In the UK they get much more problems with the Head joint, possibly due to the extreme temperature variations.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

ae

Thanks, bazzbazz. That explanation helps a lot.
I pulled out the ignition coil that was next to the oil marks, and was able to confirm that the spark plug well was dry (felt very relieved). It seemed to me that the oil was seeping onto the rocker cover from around the 10mm bolt that bolts down the ignition coil. I know this is implausible, but it looked like that.
Or alternatively, it may have been a small spill from a previous oil change.
I've wiped the area clean in order to see if it happens again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk