159 key cut

Started by As the day goes, July 30, 2019, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As the day goes

I ordered a new  159 key fob off Ebay. The chrome on the holder that retains the key for the emergency door release is peeling off.   Common problem it seems. Have waited years for someone to make a replacement fob.

So I need someone in Melbourne to cut the key blank. Should this be able to be done at any auto locksmith?

May swap out the transponder too, I to the new case, but I dont know if the Alfa logo can be transferred.

bonno

Find below link to a previous post on the subject. The thread contains some noise /off the subject replies, but I suggest it is not as simple as cutting the blank. Need key code for the chip and transponder needs to be programmed to operate remote entry/lock.  Please note that I recently had spare key cut for my 156 JTS which required the code, to enable opening manually and start the car  (does not activate remote function transponder needs to be programmed by Dealer).
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=19326.0

As the day goes

I already have a second key fob.  It's the primary key fob that I wish to keep.  Only need the tang (?) as shown in this picture cut.  I can keep the black body with the transponder in it, or I can swap it out into the new black body. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Buttons-Remote-Key-Fob-Shell-Case-W-Battery-For-Alfa-Romeo-159-BRERA-SPIDER/362575012383?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Citroƫnbender

Ben from "Keys in the Post" (UK) couldn't help? That would have got you the blade and fob in one go.

As the day goes

Don't know.  The fob and tang blank is $30 delivered.  So only need the key cut.

bazzbazz

Ok, I get it, you have the guts (Remote locking circuit board & Transponder chip) to put in the new fob and just need the key blank cut.

I would normally say any Auto Locksmith could do it but the reverse positioning of the fob could make it tricky for them to clamp the key into the cutting machine. All you can do is Google your area for Auto Locksmiths and go and see what they can do.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

As the day goes

Update.  The key got cut for $44 at Wyns Locksmith, Preston.  Took many calls to find some one.  Note  take your car in to see if it fits the barrel.