Mystery Alfetta GTV6 relay

Started by ACE, March 29, 2019, 03:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACE

There is a relay located at the top of the firewall between the juction box for the starter motor and the clutch master cylinder. It's the small silver box near the top of the photo: the clutch reservoir is just visible to the left and the bonnet catch is just visible to the right.

The problem: I can not locate a wiring diagram that references this relay (or possibly I am just unable to identify the relay among the many diagrams that I do have).  But it does appear to be standard fitment on at least early (83/84) Australian delivered GTV6s.

Any assistance with locating the relevant wiring diagram would be appreciated.

john m

Hi ACE,
this was covered in an earlier post, from memory I think it's to do with the brake low fluid level warning. Do a search on forum or trace the wires.
Cheers
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import

bonno

As John indicated it is the "dash brake fluid warning light it was retro fitted to meet ADR's.[Australian design rules]". Find below is the previous Post/ thread http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=8480.msg52540#msg52540
Cheers
bonno

ACE

Thanks all.

It puzzled me that this relay is only activated during starting, is explained!

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=8480.msg94904#msg94904

The thread not only explains what the relay does, but Sportiva's description of how he implemented a related relay for the starter was actually my goal!

ACE

Alas, a wiring diagram relevant to the "mystery" relay on AU delivered GTV6s was not found.

Attached is a best effort at depicting the installed wiring of a believed to be original, and apparently functional, setup for said relay.

The test for "functional" is for the "BRAKE" light - in the group of warning lights at the top left of the instrument panel (not the "Hand Brake" light) - to illuminate during cranking of the engine. It should not be illuminated during running - unless, of course, the brake fluid level is too low or the brake fluid level sender is malfunctioning!

caveat emptor

ACE

Attached is a diagrammatic representation of the installation of separate Starter and Ignition relays in an AU delivered GTV6, along with the afore mentioned "mystery" or BLT relay.

The installation repurposed the terminal block that was previously the junction for the Ignition-Start and Starter Solenoid leads and the BLT relay feed. cf "before" above and "after" attached to this note.

Again, caveat emptor