alfa 156 v6 1998

Started by hrollur, July 12, 2019, 12:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrollur

what happened earlier is that it seems to be a pretty big crash on all the electrical systems in my car, started with the electric windows stopped working then the window wipers crashed then  the  direction lights went and then the radio went off. so total cockpit electrical fault. has anyone had this issue?

poohbah

Not as bad, but a few years ago I had to replace the main fuseboard under the dash after it shorted while I was swapping in a new stereo head unit. Forgot to disconnect the battery, and an exposed wire brushed the metal stereo bracket. I lost most of the dials in the centre console - clock, temp, fuel, as well as the odo and tripmeter.

The car (2001 series 1 V6 156) still started and ran fine etc, it was just those items that stopped working. The new head unit also worked fine!

Does everything else still work in yours?

You should PM Bazzbazz for advice - he'll probably have some ideas.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

WELL! Now we have a lead as to what may have caused the car to turn into a Norse Funeral Pryor!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

hrollur

bazzbazz

Quote from: poohbah on July 13, 2019, 10:04:52 AM
You should PM Bazzbazz for advice - he'll probably have some ideas.

Sorry my Psyonic ability doesn't reach as far as Iceland.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Craig_m67

Could I suggest it's perhaps Björk'd  ;D

(Sorry)

I actually had a similar issue in a 156JTD. Turned out the (newish)battery was unable to cope with a load.  Voltage was fine, but load it up (just driving actually) and it collapsed, everything you describe in the cockpit.

New battery, all fixed
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)