2015 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio Verde Guiletta water pump fail cost ?

Started by Choogz, June 13, 2019, 04:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

Quote from: Citroƫnbender on June 28, 2019, 12:58:37 PM
Prying against the manifold to fit a belt or release a tensioner, could be one source of damage. Mis-supporting the motor when removing or refitting a gearbox, another.

There will surely be witness marks if it's not just a gorilla with a spanner.

That's my thoughts too..
... which is not indicative of a lemon.

Just neglect and/or abuse by a ham fisted repairer.

It'd be nice to see the crack in detail. I wouldn't be surprised if the crack couldn't be repaired, glued or filled either.. it's just a manifold after all, simply replacing it could be ruinou$

(I can't actually find the inlet manifold in ePer.. anybody know which bit it's listed under?)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Choogz

Part number is 55259589 for the manifold :)

Look either way it's getting fixed not ideal but I'm not going to jump to conclusions and blame the mechanic because it's not my place.

I'll try and get the old one so I can take more detailed photos and see if it shows sign of tools damaging the part..

Who knows, at this point I want to pay the bill and be back on the road plain and simple.

Taking it to Alfa Romeo in parramatta would've bankrupt me..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzbazz

Just out of curiosity, if the car was running fine, and the only problem was the leaking water pump, why was the Mech screwing around with the inlet manifold in the first place?  ???
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Choogz

So the water pump was replaced, as were all the belts since they were due and everyone advised me to do it since I was already paying for the labor.

I'll get the manifold when my father goes to pick it up because he's curious to see the fail section as well.

bazzbazz

Just out of curiosity, if the car was running fine, and the only problem was the leaking water pump, why was the Mech screwing around with the inlet manifold in the first place?  ???
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Mick A

Quote from: bazzbazz on June 28, 2019, 06:05:18 PM

I think it was just an assumption that the water pump was leaking based on the location of the visible water on the block, but maybe when they removed the mount bracket and were able to visually inspect the pump, they found the water was coming from higher up on the manifold and running down the block.

Just a guess.

Choogz

Pretty much Mick is on the money, the water pump was due anyways so it wasn't a waste of time or costs...

Craig_m67

I think Mick's explanation is sound. 

Pain in the arse about the manifold
(For avoidance of doubt, I wasn't suggesting your mechanic broke it.. I know too many good mechanics to start flinging mud like that)

Choogz

All good Craig, just didn't expect the bill to blow up so much, and it's kind of put me off doing any additional work to mine.

Was going to get a stage 1 tune and change the stereo for one with CarPlay but now I'm kind of on the fence [emoji2373]

Craig_m67

Don't be.  I love my QV.

I can't bring myself to replace it currently because nothing else matches bang for buck.

It really is a seriously good car.  I've put 50K on mine over the last two years, reasonably trouble free (after we did the belts and maintenance that the previous owner ignored). 

Maybe a mapped petrol Stelvio when they get under $50k
(I'm not a sedan man, sorry Giulia)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Intake-Manifold-Original-Fiat-LANCIA-ALFA-ROMEO-Jeep-55259084/701842482

bazzbazz

Quote from: Craig_m67 on June 30, 2019, 12:36:03 PM
Don't be.  I love my QV.

I can't bring myself to replace it currently because nothing else matches bang for buck.

It really is a seriously good car.  I've put 50K on mine over the last two years, reasonably trouble free (after we did the belts and maintenance that the previous owner ignored). 

REALLY!!!!   ??? No, seriously . . . .REALLY!  ::)

(only Craig will get the meaning of this post)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Choogz

Craig_m67

That's just a pain.. I feel for you

So, from the first pic you posted... how did that rubber gasket that goes around the square channel actually work.  The one in the pic looks to long and doubles up or falls into the broken section?