159 Clutch Master Leaking?

Started by V AR 164, June 13, 2019, 02:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hi all,

Cut a long story short, driving home the other day and when going around a corner the brake fluid low message came up. Hmmm, pulled over and check and yes the reservoir level had indeed dropped. Nothing to panic over as I had issues bleeding the brakes when I pulled my calipers off a few months ago so maybe it had finally cleared out all the air bubbles.

Go to clean the car today and pulled back the driver's may to find it wet. Water? Nope it was brake fluid  :o

Checked it out and it appears the clutch master? is leaking.

Easy job to switch over? Is it a common problem? Gotta tear back the carpet now and clean it all up before it eats into the floor, probably already has though  :-[

The fluid is dripping everytime I push the clutch from the right side of where that big round thing is. Just below the cylinder. Looks like it's coming from in-between a seal or something.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

bonno

Hi Andrew
In regards to query "Easy job to switch over?" Find link to How to guide!
. https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_Brera_159_clutch_master_cylinder_change.shtml

V AR 164

Cheers bonno, yeah turned out to be an easy job. Was a bit fiddly due to the position right up under the dash but I eventually pulled it out. Turned out that one of the o rings had worn away unevenly and was letting out fluid.

Cleaned the unit and replaced all the o rings I could find, bled the clutch and so far so good. Going to take it around the block and see if it fixed the problem.

Considering new units are around $300, if I managed to fix it for the price of 2 o rings I had in a kit and about 500ml of brake fluid ($10 bucks?), I'm very happy  ;D

Andrew
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroƫnbender

Acquire an E46 coupe or convertible.  That will terminally estrange you from the word "happy".  ;D