Recommended rottiserie attachment points - 105 restoration

Started by Cobrasteve, August 09, 2019, 06:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobrasteve

Hey guys and girls

Starting the research phase for my 105 series resto.

One question is what attachment points are suggested for use on the 105 chassis on a rottiserie?

Very early days before kick off but preparation doesn't hurt.

If there are any Melbourne based 105's on a spit I'd be keen to come have a look too.

Cheers

Steve

MatB

The rotisserie can be mounted to the bumper bar attachment points.
We used this set up for the prep and paint underneath and engine bay/boot area.
The majority of the body Resto was done on a custom trolley attached at the front to the steering box/idler holes and rear attached to the rear arm mounting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig_m67

I wouldn't attach the rotisserie to bumper mount points, they are absolutely not strong enough to support the whole car and are usually rusted to the shit house

Most restoration shops attach to the suspension mount points, these were designed (by Alfa) to support the weight of the car.. they're the best points.

On the rear use the three bolt holes that the rear T-bar mounts to on the rear chassis rails.
On the front you can either use the lower A-arm attachment points on the large crossmember OR the three bolt hold points in the inner chassis that the steering box and idler (opposite) use. 

The steering box is preferred as it leaves the front of the chassis and cross memener free for remedial rest work (it will be rusty/cracked etc).

For my resto I used two 1800mm ID hoops, mounted the car inside the hoops (at the points above).  This allowed me to spin the car on the spot to access anywhere when inspected for rust and removing panels etc..

There's lots of info on the AlfaBB website (US based)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Cobrasteve

Thanks guys

Was generally aware of the warning about not using the bumper mounts, i.e. the bumpers are all that they are strong enough to hold.

Suspension mounts make sense, as to the steering box - many thanks.

A long way before I even start but t all helps.

Cheers

Steve

Sportscar Nut

Agree with Craig's post and would only mount the body on the suspension pick ups on the rotisserie .

Also suggest all panel repair work is done on a jig as the body flexes on the rotisserie.

Good luck with the adventure.

Cobrasteve

Folks

I'd be really keen to have a look at any other 105 resto's in Melbourne, if anyone has something on the go.

I see this as all helping my research process and well in advance of me starting my jump into my car rebuild.

Please PM to let me know your details and we can talk off-line and arrange a visit.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Steve

john m

Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import