Indicator Issues - fixed

Started by fazersix, May 23, 2019, 11:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fazersix

Sharing another fix!
My indicators were flashing very slowly, the pilot on the dash rarely flashed! Sick of being tooted by morons that do not appreciate that older cars have lights that may work a little differently, I decided to fix this!.
Turning the hazard lights on, the flash was ok, because if the increased load of 6 lights on!
I read articles on forums that say the flasher unit is load sensitive, the lower the current drawn the slower and less bright the lights would be.
I found a replacement electro magnetic flasher - Narva p/n 68213BL $20 - plugs straight in. It is not load sensitive, no issue ADR's came in around 1990 that call for load sensitive flashers that speed up the flash rate when a bulb is out!!!!! - bugger that! So now the flash is reliable and the dash pilot works!.
But the rear indicators are still dim. Eventually traced to high resistance between the bulb holder and the circuit board on the negative side.
Cleaned up the holder near where it meets the board, scrapped off a bit of coating, dropped on some solder. Now good bright indicators.

So I could have saved $20 and not replaced the flasher, so a free fix! But now I have a good strong indicator system.

GTVeloce

Another way to improve them is through the addition of an ignition relay, which also fixes a multitude of other problems and means your ignition switch will last significantly longer!

fazersix

Thanks GTVeloce , I have added the relay, I simply disconnected the "live feed" from the ignition switch, and routed it via a relay. Wipers, heater fan and indicators all work normally now :-)

GTVeloce

Good to hear! It is a fairly simple job but makes a world of difference.