Using Victoria Club Permit in Queensland?

Started by kaleuclint, May 17, 2019, 06:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaleuclint

Just wondering if anyone has experience owning a vehicle in Queensland on Victoria's club permit scheme?  I'm talking 'semi-permanent' residence in Brisbane (maintaining a home in Melbourne) rather than a trip.

Victoria is okay with this, but Queensland authorities might take a different view.

2011 159ti 1750TBi

Craig_m67

I suspect the normal rules will apply and you would have n-1 (check, it's different in each state) days to change all your vehicle registrations and licence.

From the QLD website :  "If you move to Queensland from another state or territory, you must get Queensland registration and a Queensland driver licence. You have 14 days to register your vehicle in Queensland and may be fined if you don't."

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/transfer/interstate

I imagine they (cops) would ask you if where you live is rented/owned by you ... if so, that's where you reside and they will expect you to change everything.  I was once informed I had 90days to stop using my EU license in Aust., I was here on holiday, lived in London at the time (citizen, and tax resident)

So where you actually reside/live will be key here.  I've no idea what the legal definition for Dept. of Transport is but a QLD Cop is neither a clever or nice animal (in my opinion, next big royal commission I hope).  What do all the military folk do who are shunted around the country every two years or so?

Driving on a historic plate from another state will just draw attention to yourself, especially if you live here

The QLD SIV (special interest vehicle) scheme is next to useless, I looked today, can I register Cherry at your place? :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

What vehicle do you have on the Vic club scheme?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

kaleuclint

Motorcycles Bazz.  Craig is right, the Queensland special interest scheme is like the old H-plate regime in Victoria.  Now we can ride/drive whenever and wherever we want for either 45 or 90 days per year.  Thinking about how many days you actually ride each bike, this is really worthwhile!  At least full bike registration in Brisbane would be less than for a car.

I won't own where I'd live in Brisbane.  Place of residence might be interpretive...

Re military personnel, yes there is a procedure in place for licences to be changed as part of interstate and overseas postings.
2011 159ti 1750TBi