Another Alfetta GTV Rebuild

Started by jayarr, May 05, 2019, 09:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayarr

Hi all,
kicking off with a rebuild of an Alfetta GTV, and need some advice related to the handbrake cable. After removing the transaxle, noticed that the handbrake has worn a significant groove in the clutch cover. Seeking any proven tips on how to avoid this in the future, once the cable is replaced and the cover fixed.

Transaxle

Cable

Cheers, John
Mito QV, Fiat 850 Sport, Alfetta GTV 2L
Past life: 33 1.5L, Fiat X1/9,75 V6 2.5L, GTV V6 3L 1998, 156 JTS 2L 2003

bazzbazz

Geez, whats the clutch housing made of? Plasticine? I would have expected the wear on the cable to much more tragic seeing how much it's worn into the housing.   :o
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

In that state pictured, is there risk of the clutch/flywheel catching and pulling the handbrake cable? It seems reasonable cause for concern. Can the tunnel be tidily "bumped" to provide a safer routing?

GTVeloce

Yes, I have also seen that but never quite as severe. Maybe a P clamp at that point holding the cable closer to the body?

Also, that T/A has a lot of crud on top of it. Has the car seen some off road work?

Citroënbender

So basically it's safe, but annoying?  :)  A bit like people preparing food directly on the benchtop.

jayarr

Quote from: Citroënbender on May 06, 2019, 10:37:42 AM
Can the tunnel be tidily "bumped" to provide a safer routing?
The tunnel has a seam which could be relieved locally, but I suspect that a P clip will be needed as well. In this solution the cable will need to make two bends in close proximity. It will increase wear on the cable, and stiction in the cable travel - but preferable to wearing the transaxle casing.

The rubber hose fix, plus some tunnel bashing might be the go.

Quote from: GTVeloce on May 06, 2019, 02:32:28 PM
Also, that T/A has a lot of crud on top of it. Has the car seen some off road work?
Embarrassingly dirty! The car is new to me, but yes, I suspect that the car is from the country. Opens the possibility that the dirt between transaxle and cable acted as the cutting agent, accelerating wear.

Many thanks for the feedback.
Mito QV, Fiat 850 Sport, Alfetta GTV 2L
Past life: 33 1.5L, Fiat X1/9,75 V6 2.5L, GTV V6 3L 1998, 156 JTS 2L 2003