2011 Giulietta headlights

Started by Jden92, January 21, 2019, 02:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jden92

Hey everyone,
Just wondering what the best method of headlight restoration is? I am trying to prolong having to buy a new set, but my headlights are looking cloudy as! What are some tried methods, so I don't ruin them.
Cheers, Jayden

Dino2600

If you're talking about the outer lens/shield, you can restore them easily with various grades of polish.

Try T-Cut first, and then polish them. If that doesn't work well enough, then go one a grade further... maybe start with burnishing paste, then T-Cut, then polish.

Lots of elbow grease involved, but you can almost always get them back to looking new.

Keep the burnishing paste away from your paintwork!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bonno

For about $40 another option is Turtle wax headlight restoration kit. Find link to a Youtube video on how it is done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyXCTyk6nLE

kaleuclint

2011 159ti 1750TBi

V AR 164

Hi Jayden,

Personally I would stay away from just using a plastic polish. Those produces are great for restoring piano black trim on the interior of a car, but a month after using it on your headlights they will go cloudy again. Just my own experience with it.

From factory a protective layer is sprayed on the headlight lens and once it goes hazy and you remove it with a polish, there is nothing left to stop the UV Rays attacking the plastic.

Use a headlight restoration kit WITH a sealant. This puts a protective layer back again and stops them from yellowing. The turtle wax one bonno posted is great, meguires and rainx also make a similar product.

Also stay away from the 'one step headlight restoration wipes'. These just cover up the oxidation and it will go hazy again in no time. Best to use a kit where sanding/polishing is required to remove the hazy layer.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

The YT discussion by "JunkyDIYguy" is quite comprehensive and worth digesting. It certainly sold me on a protective film coating as preferred finish.

rowan_bris

I am disappointed (probably unreasonably given the predominance of cheap headlights) that our car has this problem too. It is 4 years and 2 months since we bought it new and it has 48,000 klms on it.  It has not been a cheap car to maintain by any standard.  It hasn't had anything out of the ordinary but it has been more expensive to maintain than my AMG Merc and my older Alfas.  It is a distinctive diesel with full leather.  We have done everything it needed and more.  It has just had discs and pads, cam belt and water pump.  I would guess it would be worth a third of what we paid for it ($35,000).  I am thinking I will give up on it. 

Craig_m67

Hej Rowan, do you have the sunroof as well, what colour?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

rowan_bris

Mick A

Quote from: V AR 164 on April 07, 2019, 04:04:52 PM
Hi Jayden,

Personally I would stay away from just using a plastic polish. Those produces are great for restoring piano black trim on the interior of a car, but a month after using it on your headlights they will go cloudy again. Just my own experience with it.

From factory a protective layer is sprayed on the headlight lens and once it goes hazy and you remove it with a polish, there is nothing left to stop the UV Rays attacking the plastic.

Use a headlight restoration kit WITH a sealant. This puts a protective layer back again and stops them from yellowing. The turtle wax one bonno posted is great, meguires and rainx also make a similar product.

Also stay away from the 'one step headlight restoration wipes'. These just cover up the oxidation and it will go hazy again in no time. Best to use a kit where sanding/polishing is required to remove the hazy layer.

Andrew.

Fantastic advice Andrew. The best method is to put a new clear coat on the lights after they've been polished.

Mick.

Citroënbender

I thought so too - but seeing this video changed my ideas to a protective film. No product endorsements in it, all names are obscured.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UG54xt56uZo

Jden92

Quote from: V AR 164 on April 07, 2019, 04:04:52 PM
Hi Jayden,

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew!
I ended up using a Meguiars restore kit. So far so good, lights seem to be holding up well after being restored.