Help with Alfa ID

Started by alfadude, January 20, 2019, 08:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfadude

Hi all,

Was wondering if someone can help me to identify the exact model in the link below. Particularly the year if possible. The one I'm interested in is the white one, second from the top with the yellow lights. I think it is an Alfetta, but I am struggling to find any more details after that as there seems to be muddy info out there when it comes to Alfetta's, GT's, GTV's, Veloce's etc. I have a feeling it is late 70's, before the GTV series that have the larger bumpers on the front and the bigger engines.
If I am going to have a project car, this is what I will aim for, given that I can afford one in reasonable condition.

https://www.themechanists.com/2018/02/05/monday-money-just-a-cool-alfa/

Also, are there many of these around, and what kind of price would I be looking at?
Thanks.

poohbah

I'm no expert, but I'll have a go for you. (I have a '81 GTV myself)

The white one looks like a modified late '70s GTV 2.0L - with front bumper removed and bigger wheels fitted (maybe off a Alfa 75?). the plastic bumper model was introduced in '81, and had a different rear quarter triangle vent (like the one on the red GTV6).

The last series of chrome bumper models had the vents with "GTV" cutout. I may be wrong, but I believe only the 2.0L models had the GTV vent.

The earlier GTs - which had 1.6 and 1.8L engines - had a more conventional rear quarter vent with straight gills.

To answer your question, there aren't that many around, and the chrome bumper models are especially hard to find. Though I saw a decent one in Tasmania advertised on FB about a week ago.

*Correction - the plastic bumper model came out in Europe in 1980, and yes only the later chrome bumper 2.0L models had the GTV vent.

Plus - you won't find one in Oz with yellow headlights - I think they are a curiosity of French-licensed cars of the period.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

poohbah

good spot on the fuel filler door Sportiva. You're right about it being a bitzer, which makes it tough to ID properly. And if you look closely at the second pic, it appears as though it may even have some sort of custom bonnet bulge (or its a trick of the light), so could have just about anything under the bonnet!
            1981 GTV

poohbah

There are a couple of steel bumper GTVs at unique cars that maybe more in line with what Alfadude is chasing. This blue one for example:
www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Alfa-Romeo-Alfetta-1979/SSE-AD-5713900/?Cr=7

*sorry - just realised the link was incorrect, now fixed so it should work

1981 GTV

poohbah

Yep I love it too. Reckon it looks especially good on Alfetta sedans
            1981 GTV

alfadude

Thanks for the replies Sportiva and Poohbar.
Could someone enlighten me on the numbers that follow the model name, eg the link to beautiful red example has 116 and in Sportiva's post he mentions 105? Are there just sequential numbers to keep track of the series?
Also, following poohbar's first response, am I correct in assuming that all of the images on Google of the early GTs/GTVs with just a metal grille at the front, like in the white example, are just the owners removing either a plastic or chrome bumper?
I think it is this look that I really find attractive. The look of those big plastic bumpers doesn't do it for me, but when I found this white car, it looks much more classic.
That's why I was so particular about trying to find the exact model.
As far as I can tell, the wheels are Ronal R10's. They look great, as do the Ronal A1's which are on a lot of these Alfas.
I will have to keep hunting for one of these early 70s GTs in my price range I think. I would like to find one that needs some work as I'm quite handy with a wrench and would like to make a project out of it over my life.

poohbah

116 is the designation of the Alfetta platform (sedans introduced in '72, coupes from '74). Completely different platform from the 105 series it followed (which was ran from mid 60s through to mid 70s).

None of the 116 series would have come from the factory minus a front bumper (though I guess any factory backed race teams may have), so if that's the look you are after, you'll have to do some minor surgery. Search this forum and others like alfaowner and alfabb - there should be plenty of advice on tips and things to be wary of.

FYI Wikipedia has some reasonable basic history info and specs for the Alfetta series:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Alfetta
            1981 GTV

giulia_veloce

Supply a chassis VIN number and I can Possibly tell you the year model

poohbah

That's one from the vault! I never knew such a partnership even existed.
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

Mille remerciements, c'est une buona scoperta!  :P