suitable mid range tyres for combined road and track use

Started by Fast Eddie, October 16, 2008, 10:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fast Eddie

OK,
I have a set of 15x7 Simmons B45's that i want to put some new tyres on.  i was going to fit "R" specs but this car will be 60% road, 40% track and I am on a budget (well no money actually).

Is there a cheap but decent sticky road tyre that is sticky enough for occasional circuit work - regularity but not too quick to wear when mostly used on the road?  That way i can fit these lovely wheels to my Alfetta GTV sooner rather than later / never.

What about P6's, GT's?  I think some VIC members have fitted a Bridgestone of sorts and maybe buffed as an interim step before committing to "R"s.

Cheapest "R"s are TOYO which are popular over here in the Wild West but still $1000 for a set of 225/15s.

Ed
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Colin Byrne

So ed, you want a set of sticky tyres that last along time and don't cost much, let me know when you find a set!! ;D
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Scott Farquharson

Ed, I really think you are better off with whatever is on it for road use and buy the Toyo's for the B45's.  Buying a new set of road radials will probably set you back $6-800 min anyway and if you buff them down they're not going to be great for the road anyway.

And if you juist stick the Toyo's on for the track days you should get a lot of use out of them.   Just a thought.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

greengtv8

Hi there, We sell the Toyo's at workwww.mmsport.com.au, the main ones are the RA1's and the R888's. I've been running my green car on them for 4 to 5 years now and they're excelant. If you want instant high grip (drag, hill climb, and short sprint's(more than 6 or 7 laps they get slippery)) go the RA1. The RA1's are also quieter on the road. The R888 have a more agressive pattern, and take a lap or two to get up to temp. but that's it...they stay there(good for things like the 6hr). With a little road noise. I run the R888's at around 28psi on track and 30 ish on the road. I just put a new set of R888's on but the last set lasted 3.5 to 4 yrs. didn't have an odometer then, but they did two S.A Mallala 6hr race weekends, including driving there and back both times, 4 trips to Sydney, about 6 Alfa sprint days and driven on the road about every second day for 3 years. Gripy tyre, but if you drive nice on the road with correct pressure, and a good wheel alignment(not to much camber or toe in) they last pretty good.
      I havn't tried the RA1's myself, but customers seem to like them.
Little green Alfetta gtv 1982
Fitted with:
Lexus V8 4Ltr
Supra w58 g/box
LS400 IRS rear susp.& 8 1/2' diff
Coil over's all round
Nissan R32 Front brakes
Peddle box,balance bar & adj.bias valve's
9 point roll cage(inc. engine bay)
Custom Extractors & exhaust
Custom body kit & under tray

Fast Eddie

cheers Scott n Green,
i intend to keep the B45's on permanently Scott so i was concerned about wear when min 60% of the time at least will be on the road, rather than track and based on that i thought i might be able to spend around $500 a set.

I was always intending to buy TOYOs and i had RA1s on the sprint before but for 15x7, cost for R888s is about $1000 so will take a lot longer to fund and I really wanna get out on the track ASAP.

So, i was really hoping to find something mid-range, medium-soft road tyre as opposed to "R"s. 
RA1's might be cheaper than R888s which are about the cheapest "R" spec going 'round. 
I'll check with "my dealer"

Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: greengtv8 on October 17, 2008, 10:02:49 PM
the last set lasted 3.5 to 4 yrs. didn't have an odometer then, but they did two S.A Mallala 6hr race weekends, including driving there and back both times, 4 trips to Sydney, about 6 Alfa sprint days and driven on the road about every second day for 3 years.

I have nowhere near the expertise or experience that you do, but this does sound quite unbelievable to me, and counter to everything I've been led to believe about "R" type tires.

Good to hear though.  So that must be about 40,000km road kms on them, plus whatever track time you did?  

Ed, find whatever racing class over there runs the same size and buy some used tires off them to put on your spare wheels.  There's always some fool willing to sell off their 'useless' tires for a bargain price because 'unless the tires are new I can't be at the front of the field'.  Always.

Fast Eddie

hmmm, interesting.  I saw your reply but not the link so went on eBay and found the same set.

See, you're not just a pretty face hey Bro?  Sweet as!
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Sheldon McIntosh

Another option would be to put these guys...

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/st.george_tyres_online/

....in your favourite sellers list in ebay ( I know how you love ebay Edward!)

They've got nothing now, but a few months ago I was looking for a set of race tyres for my 16s, they had Falkens for $800 a set, so bound to be cheaper for 15s. Keep an eye on them, cos I noticed that they'd have them some weeks and not others.

I haven't heard any feedback about the Falkens, only that they're a good entry level race tyre.  I'm entry level, so was happy to try them, but didn't get a chance.  I've since found a free source of 15 inch race tyres (someone who fears they'll be a second off the pace without brand new tyres) so I'll probably stick with them for a while (excuse the pun).  Free tyres are frickin awesome!!

Cher cher cuz.

Fast Eddie

The ebay Toyo's are ex Perth, Tassie, not Perth, WA sadly (typo) as trucking cost will be too high but a little birdy has put me onto another source of "used" "R" spec tyres ex MEL which will at least be cheaper than ex Tassie to Perth.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Victor Lee

Hi Ed,

Several years back, we previously had some "borrowed" 16 x 7 Simmons on the yello car with Dunlop D-01 225x45x16.  The car (hard to describe) shuddered/skipped/wallowed around the sweeper at Winton.  We reckon it was the tyres were too wide for the rims and the tyres were deforming to a point, then jumping back to shape, deforming ..etc.  Does that make sense?

We then bought the 16 x 8 F90 Simmons with same size tyre and it felt great around the sweeper.  No tyre movement!

Dunno if the same funny tyre movement may be experienced by you if you fit 225's on your 15 x 7's?

Cheers

Victor
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Fast Eddie

I must admit i am a little nervous about 225/50/15 on 15x7 rims on the Alfetta.  They will fill the wheel space awfully well and the guards will probably require rolling.  I had driven a 116 with fat wheels n tyres and didnt like it much at all.

I also have a nice set of 14x6 rims thet require painting that i can fit 185 or 195/60/14 Toyos to that would result in a "Group S' compliance and not take any 'feel' away from the steering and be a cheaper end result for me which i do need to be mindful of.

Then i could sell the Simmons B45 15x7's to pay for the 14x6 tyres. - any offers?
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.