147 twinspark manual latch not unlocking

Started by pared, December 30, 2018, 01:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pared

Hi I'm new here so forgive me if this has been covered before. My 2003 Alfa 147's hatch lock is not unlocking from the button on the dash. Is there another way to unlock it? It sounds like its unlocking but nothing happens. Any help appreciated.

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroƫnbender

My impression is, the mechanism doesn't often fail unexpectedly. 

Cause - possibly the car has been lightly shunted while parked, enough to push the latch hoop out of prior alignment.  The beaver panel is a bit frail in this respect.

Manual opening - there is a discreet finger toggle to the offside of the latch portion fitted to the tailgate.  Manipulate this firmly and darned near any stuck hatch will "pop". 

Testing - "trick" the latch by flicking it closed with a screwdriver whilst the tailgate is open and up.  Now experiment with opening by use of the console/fascia button and also the remote.  It should spring open readily and in the process the load area light should operate.  If all this is by the book, you need to straighten the beaver and readjust the fixed portion.

Should the latch not operate when tricked, then you have a failed servomotor or link, it's not sold separately but is fixed on a bracket to the boot latch unit.  Investigate much as you feel comfortable, it might be fixable.