New Alfa owner

Started by Hughsie, January 05, 2019, 10:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hughsie

G'Day everyone. I am a new Alfa Owner living in Parkes NSW. I am very much isolated from other Alfa owners and indeed anyone who knows anything about them. Mechanics who can pull a very complicated header to bits, just scratch their heads when it comes to knowing anything about my car. I am 75 years old and recently bought my "toy", a well looked after 2006 147 Selespeed TS.
I checked the level of fluid for the actuator and found it to be below the bottom of the dipper, so I topped it up with about half a cup of Penrite LDAS and brought it up to the right level. However I found the lot on the floor next morning. Anyone got any idea of where the leak may be? The car runs fine, no warning lights etc. : :D
2006 Alfa 147

Craig_m67

Bazz.... selespeed on aisle three, bring a mop :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Citroƫnbender

You may not have needed to top it up. If you've opened the driver's door within the last two or three minutes, the pump will have hoovered up the fluid and left only a skim on the reservoir bottom.

Basically, the accumulator holds about 400ml of hydraulic fluid.  When it's fully pressurised, that's the reservoir empty.  As the car sits (overnight, say), pressure creeps out of the accumulator and fluid is returned to the reservoir - up to 100% of the stored volume when the system is dead zero pressure (which takes several days, or a few minutes with a diagnostic machine).

It's a common error by rookies, don't let it worry you.

bazzbazz

Ok, a couple of points.
When you look into the reservoir what you are seeing is NOT the bottom of the reservoir, but a metal baffle plate mid way down.
Also the system is supposed to be checked just after the pump has run and the level is at its lowest and the system pressurized.

But first things first, you need to get a torch and see that the problem is not causes by a leak in any of the hoses, a crack in the reservoir or leaking out of the back of the Selespeed actuator.

Next, the proper procedure to check the fluid level -

1/ It is best to check when car is cold
2/ Open drivers door, If the system is low on pressure you should hear the pump prime
3/ Turn the key to MAR, (Do not start) you should hear the pump try to prime again, but if fully pressurized you may not
4/ Put your foot on the brake pedal and operate the gear selector through a few gears till you hear the pump run. Stop and wait for the pump to stop. (This makes sure that the system is fully pressurized)
5/ NOW you check the fluid level, be aware, some dipsticks have two levels on them, one at 20 degrees (cold) and one at 80 degrees (hot). Top the fluid to the correct level on the dipstick.

You have now topped up the fluid correctly.

In your case I would suggest the additional -

A/  Make sure there is no fluid on the ground under the car or do it on a clean area where no fluid has leaked before and put down a plastic tarp just in case it leaks again
B/ Do this after you have finished with the car for the day and it has cooled down, before retiring for the night if that suits
C/ After following the top up procedure above, with key at MAR and foot on brake run the gears all the way to fifth and back to first (It bleeds air out of the system)

Now with the oil level correctly set, when you rise in the morning, hopefully there will be no puddles on the ground. If there is, you have one of two issues, a leak somewhere or the Accumulator is faulty and needs replacing.

let me know how you go.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Hughsie

Thanks, you can obviously see that I am a green Alfa owner, even if I have lusted for one since I was a kid.
2006 Alfa 147

Hughsie

What a comprehensive reply. I can see that i need t join the Club not just sit on the fringes of this forum.
I have just printed the application.
Thank you very much.
2006 Alfa 147

bonno

Hi Hughsie 
Welcome aboard and congratulations on the purchase of your Alfa Romeo 147. Further to bazzbazz response, please refer to Page 242 of AR owners manual. If you were not supplied OM with your purchase then find below link to free downloadable version on the net.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/542291/Alfa-Romeo-147.html?page=243#manual
cheers
bonno

Hughsie

Thanks Bonno,
I did exactly as described in the manual. There was oil in the reservoir prior to turning on the ignition but this drained into the transmission after turning the key to MAR. I put in about half a cup and the level was on the full mark. The car was cold and level.
The next morning the oil had leaked out. So it would appear that there is a leak somewhere so it is going up onto a hoist in the morning. Oil change, put in a K & N air filter and check for transmission leaks.
2006 Alfa 147

bazzbazz

If it is not a leak then the Accumulator is faulty and is dumping oil out the vent tube as the system depressurizes overnight.

Also don't use the K&N filter if it is the oiled type, it will eventually stuff the MAF.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au