Interior door pull - broken - Giulietta - common problem?

Started by Stuart Cameron, December 24, 2018, 03:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Cameron

Hi
I have 2014 Giulietta - I recently was exiting the car and the interior metal look a like plastic door handle just fell off in my hand. The handle has broken around a pivot pin - which appears to be a weak spot. Called Alfa expecting to pay a  $150 for a new handle to be told the handle is integrated into the door card - plastic welded in place - so the entire door card required replacement $800!!!! Presumably the way it is made was a good way for Alfa to save money in manufacturing rather than provide a decent quality solid replaceable part.
Certainly not fit for purpose in a car that is otherwise well maintained and has done only 40,000kms???
Has anyone else had issues?

bonno

Hi Stuart
A new replacement part is available on ebay at the following link. Not sure what the dealer is suggesting "that it forms part of the door card"???. My guess is the door card would have to be removed to get access to the broken handle.
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/362500443448?chn=ps
Cheers
bonno

bazzbazz

Ok, this IS a common problem. And yes, Alfa Romeo only offer the entire door card as a replacement. The reason being is the door card is made up of two main sections (inner & outer skin) that are welded together, with the door handle assembly sandwiched between the two.

To replace the handle the two sections have to be deconstructed and pulled apart, handle replaced and then welded back together again. This process obviously would not stand up to Alfas quality standards hence the reason why they only sell the door card as a whole unit.

I recommend you purchase the new handle the take it to someone who specializes in Plastic Welding of car Trim components. Have them remove the door card, disassemble, fit new handle, reassemble door card & re-install to car. If you don't know where to look ask you local Automotive Upholsterer, if they don't do it they will point you to someone who does.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Stuart Cameron

Thanks Bonno and BazzBazz very helpful [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Stuart Cameron

Hi all - update re broken internal door lever. Although my Giulietta is out of warranty - Fiat Chrysler Australia (FCA) have agreed to pay the cost of parts to fix  the issue - this a replacement of the entire drivers side  door card (cost $800) into which the door handle is integrated by plastic-welding the part in place. Crazy - that the broken door lever (a $20 dollar piece of plastic) cannot be easily replaced independently of the entire door card - FCA/Alfa seem to be very aware of the early failure of internal door handles/design flaw - agreeing quickly to the replacement in the face of Australian Consumer law guarantees. These legislated guarantees  require manufacturers to take responsibility for products including parts  that are not of acceptable quality.  A very helpful protection for consumers that applies even post expiry of contractual warrantee periods (depending on the circumstances).  Looking forward to not having to lower the window to open the car door!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig_m67

Good outcome

While you're in there get them to replace the two wiring looms that exit the roof and go into the tailgate/hatch.  It's also a known design problem with a repair loom available from Alfa (2014 maybe fixed?)

The wires get pinched and break inside the rubbers.  Too many wires unable to move.  Makes the rear wiper, tailgate opener, aerial, heated demister, running lights, etc., fail (depending on which wires go first)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

rowan_bris

That loom also does the indicators - our new Giulietta (new Jan 2015) had no right rear indicator for 9 months!  Similarly a reference to the ACA solved that problem at the end.

lsheaves

Quote from: Stuart Cameron on January 11, 2019, 01:33:04 PM
Hi all - update re broken internal door lever. Although my Giulietta is out of warranty - Fiat Chrysler Australia (FCA) have agreed to pay the cost of parts to fix  the issue - this a replacement of the entire drivers side  door card (cost $800) into which the door handle is integrated by plastic-welding the part in place. Crazy - that the broken door lever (a $20 dollar piece of plastic) cannot be easily replaced independently of the entire door card - FCA/Alfa seem to be very aware of the early failure of internal door handles/design flaw - agreeing quickly to the replacement in the face of Australian Consumer law guarantees. These legislated guarantees  require manufacturers to take responsibility for products including parts  that are not of acceptable quality.  A very helpful protection for consumers that applies even post expiry of contractual warrantee periods (depending on the circumstances).  Looking forward to not having to lower the window to open the car door!

@stuart, can you please provide any tips and or tricks on how to engage with Alfa to get the outcome you obtained?

bazzbazz

Quote from: Craig_m67 on January 11, 2019, 02:26:25 PM
Good outcome

While you're in there get them to replace the two wiring looms that exit the roof and go into the tailgate/hatch.  It's also a known design problem with a repair loom available from Alfa (2014 maybe fixed?)

The wires get pinched and break inside the rubbers.  Too many wires unable to move.  Makes the rear wiper, tailgate opener, aerial, heated demister, running lights, etc., fail (depending on which wires go first)

So, how DID you go trying to solder the broken wires yourself? Or was that you I heard running into the night screaming the other night?  ???
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast