Driveline vibration

Started by 1750GTV, December 15, 2018, 08:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1750GTV

My GTV has had a driveline vibration for sometime now and I finally got the opportunity to put it up on the hoist.

Looks like I need a new donut ...

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Colin Byrne

Wow, that could haven been catastrophic! Those rubber donuts are a real problem in 105`s. On a road car they are OK as long as you check them regularly, but any competitor stuff and they should get an upgrade.
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

bazzbazz

Get the John, the club president to send you some photos of what happened when the front of his drive shaft let loose on the track one day. He's lucky to still have his ankles.

His experience wasn't due to the donut letting loose, but from something flying up and getting jammed in there, same results however.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

1750GTV

The car is something of a garage queen nowadays and I'm slowly refurbishing it with the intent of driving it much more frequently in future.
The donut was about thirty years old and it, along with the other rubber components in the car, are all being replaced.
The vibration was only slight while driving at 60kph but there was a noticeable clunk when changing gears, accelerating and braking.
The centre bearing support isn't much better ...

I've already rebuilt the suspension and the brakes. The drivetrain is next.
A project for early next year :D

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Craig_m67

Crikey!!

The drive shaft of the 105 g'box is slower than a 116 (which is off the flywheel, g'box in back), yeah?   But still, I'd hate to have any drive shaft flopping about at speed under my ankles.  The transmission tunnel is made of tin foil.

I need to do the centre bearing on my Junior, if anybody knows the Aust. SKF/Timken PN# let me know  ;)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)