V6 GT, bye bye timing belt - questions about repair or engine change

Started by nikosss13, December 12, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikosss13

Hey all, did a timing belt while driving to work this morning which was fantastic.

Have been ballparked at 6k to repair, and after thinking about it I've been pondering if an engine replacement might be a better idea.

Would be great to know your thoughts on both, thanks guys.

Pseudonym

Personally, I just get existing engines rebuilt or repaired unless it's a huge saving or rare item I can use a spare of. I've bought other engines before and found them dead or dying on inspection, even doing your own labour it's time consuming. I'm sure your local workshop can advise on their labour cost for the job and recommend a source of secondhand engines, however take into account the timing belt on the replacement motor and your warranty options. Like I said, I personally stick to work I know is done ND will stay done.

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

Citroƫnbender

Agreed; as Kylie once sang: "Better the Devil you know"...  :)

I'm genuinely interested to see how the estimate is built up. Never have owned a Busso, never worked on one.

Malcolm

Best advice I can give after suffering the same challenge on our 2009 GT V6 that was and still is in excellent condition with 93,000K's on the clock. Have your engine repaired and keep your GT as original. The Busso V6 is the last of the true Italian V6 engines, last build with the Busso engine was in the 2010 GT Anniversary model.
Malcolm Ebel
Life Member AROCA SA
Membership Officer
membership@alfaclubsa.org.au
04309 14 309
1st Car, Morris 8/40 Bakers Van.
2004 Alfa 147Ti 5spd manual(Sold).
1976 Alfetta 2L GT race car (Sold)
Current
2009 Alfa GT 3.2 Litre 6spd manual.
2005 Alfa GT 2 Litre Selespeed to Super Sprint