Unique Risk Profile of Tasmanian Motoring

Started by Citroënbender, December 06, 2018, 05:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

I don't pretend for a moment that Tasmania is globally "special" for driving, but some of its statistical outcomes are quite clear to anyone who's stayed there enough to compare with driving in other Australian states. Here's another piece of evidence:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-05/tasmania-drivers-worst-for-hitting-stationary-objects-aami-study/10583796

I mention this specifically because the self-interested, largely irrelevant response of a automotive commerce person receives far too much uncritical column space.

Darryl

Interesting selection bias in the way those stats are presented. Given that you can't fail to give way (to another vehicle) if there isn't another vehicle at an intersection when you are there. Similarly nose-to-tail from inattention in stop-start traffic and congestion is a bit of a foreign concept in Tazzie. So accidents related to high traffic density - lower....

Instead there are lots of km travelled on long stretches of poorly lit often weather affected roads where there are plenty of stationary objects (aka trees - as Eric Banna knows)  to hit as well as unpredictable objects (aka animals - which also get a mention in the stats).

Though I still can't figure out the hitting parked cars thing...

I wonder if there are stats on rental cars.. Modern ones.... And tourists... Pretty sure Mr Little has his demographics wrong - plenty of very competent drivers of old cars in Tazzie... And you can fix them... In tazzie...

On the other hand, the relatively lax enforcement of various rules and regulations (and relative absence of nanny speed limits - drive to the conditions, people), just may suggest a slightly higher rate of "inexplicable" accidents involving only one (moving) vehicle... No speed or alcohol related stats so pure conjecture...

So yes - Tazzie is a special place  :P