Should I buy a 159?

Started by HL-240, December 03, 2018, 10:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzbazz

Quote from: Craig_m67 on December 08, 2018, 10:59:42 PM
1750tbi servicing is easy enough.

Really? How did you go with that oil change, get much oil all over the place?  ;)

;D ;D ;D

For those who are unfamiliar, the oil filter location is a cartridge type that is located at the back of the engine directly over the RH driveshaft with quite restrictive room. And unless you are familiar with the tricks involved in getting it off cleanly, one usually ends up with oil all over the driveshaft and running off the sub frame.

Not impossible to do cleanly, but first time you try it, lay down lots of plastic sheeting, other wise you will be mopping it all up.  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Darryl

Quote from: bazzbazz on December 09, 2018, 01:13:31 AM
[
Not impossible to do cleanly, but first time you try it, lay down lots of plastic sheeting, other wise you will be mopping it all up.  ;)

Ok. So puts it about on par with the transverse Busso? Interesting. At least the GM V6 is easy re oilchange...

Too many options...

Citroƫnbender

How are retained values presently tracking for the different drivelines and bodies? That might also be a determining factor...

Craig_m67

Quote from: bazzbazz on December 09, 2018, 01:13:31 AM
1750tbi servicing is easy enough.

Really? How did you go with that oil change, get much oil all over the place?  ;)

;D ;D ;D

Ha!!  I know a bloke ;D

He's due Christmas beers, and an oil change actually...
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

HL-240

Thanks for the tips about oil changes etc.

That said, if you are not used to a diesel you won't get it at all.  You can't compare the experience to a turbo petrol, completely different power delivery.

I have driven other turbo diesels before, eg Golf TDI, but the Alfa has worse turbo lag and a less consistent torque curve. I think the Alfa is a bit more fun for mucking around in, but I don't think I'd like it in terms of general driveability.
Also, comparing it to a turbo petrol is exactly what I want to do, as a turbo petrol is the direct competition/alternative.

RayPan

I'm not sure about the Alfa either. I wasn't impressed at all when I've driven one over a weekend a few months ago. It felt very stiff to me.
These are next gen probiotics for women and they work very quickly.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

My red 3.2 AWD Ti will be up for sale in January.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

ALF750

MY son has a 2.4jtd manual and it is very good on fuel and a comfortable drive.   Yes, sounds like a gravel truck at idle cold, but it gets better when warm.   We test drove a 2.2jts with chip and aftermarket exhaust, and I liked it better, lighter handling, but son preferred the jtd power!   No experience with 1750tbi, but plenty with Maser twin turbo (try changing any engine accessories in the car...not).   Turbos are great, and similarly for modern common rail diesels, but having owned and worked on both I am now leaning toward the simplicity of non-turbo petrol, especially as these cars get older with less support.  You need to be able to maintain things yourself or it will cost a fortune to pay someone to do it.   Working on the Alfetta is an absolute pleasure in comparison to them all.

JimB

To HL240, I may be too late to the discussion. However, definitely do buy a 159. Just be careful about the one you choose. Buy "your grandfather's car". Ive owned my fabulous 2008, 2.2 JTS Ti 6speed for about 3 years and 31,000km. It was a one owner with just 21,000km. So, low km, impeccable service history are critical. Depreciation on the marque is hideous, which works in the favour of the second owner. My car was very cheap considering the first owner had done 3,000km/year and paid $60,000+ for it. He'd dropped $40,000+ for very little use. In mho I bought a very fresh European unit with killer good looks and a lovely drive. Tyre wear rate is high, averaging just  21,000km and $1300+ per set. Fuel consumption too is high at about 10l/100 on 95 ron. Interior fit and finish on 159 is not M-B or BMW but value for money is outstanding. Lastly, a friendly AR EXPERIENCED technician is critical to a hassle free future with your choice. My view on the ownership costs is that on the right car it far outweighs the capital cost/depreciation of more mainstream Euro cars and the Alfa offers much more fun and interest than run of the mill Jap/Kor units.
I also have a 2004 932 series MY04 Spider JTS 2l 5spd. It too was a one owner, with 95,000km, ie just less than 7,000km/year. This car needed clutch, belts, roof motor, radio aerial, tyres etc, etc. But because of the aforementioned hideous retained value, it was cheap enough for my very AR EXPERIENCED tech mate, to bring up to terrific serviceable condition. This fun, fun convertible could be yours, ilo a 159 if you want, for <$9,000 :). See great value for money.
So, in conclusion  BUY a damned Alfa, you only live once, choose wisely, and at the end of the day how much can it really cost you? Those people who last year bought a new BMW, M-B or ANYTHING else out of Europe (including a Giulia) have already probably ripped up $20,30,40,000! Jim.