It's not hoarding if they're all slightly different right?

Started by Pseudonym, November 18, 2018, 01:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Ahhh 159 joys, seems as though I was in your position a few months back when I wanted a 'cheap' daily and one I would not fuss over if it got a door ding.

Ended up buying a mint 159 and take better care of it than my 'weekend car'! I absolutely love mine, the 2.4 with a 6 speed is a joy to drive. Plus the fact I think it is one of the best looking sedans ever.

Well done with your purchase, not everyday you can pick up a Ti for that price. The wheels and seats are worth 2k by themselves! Your interior cleaned up really nicely, never knew a car could get so dirty.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

I noticed in the pictures, previous owners had left a Haynes on the rear floor carpets - it's probably now come in handy.  :P

You'll have to take your Tojo
To the Cars and Coffee meet
It might not have the aircon
But it doesn't overheat
Italian, neglected
Burst your carnival balloon,
The joys of new possession
All diminished far too soon
Cleaning kiddie fingerprints off
Where the sun has never shone
From an Alfa in a garage
In a puddle of its own
While you're looking up your Eper
Sourcing spares apace
And you're posting from your Apple
Crying silently in space
...Like the serpents that you find
On the logos in your mind

Pseudonym

Garage Oddity - A ballad to orphaned vehicles [emoji23]

It's pretty strange actually - it'll eat all the coolant up to maybe an inch or so beneath the minimum mark and just stay there. Drove around all day like that. The more sinister symptom is the occasional spot of milky oil on the dipstick. I still have to investigate this eLearn program in more detail to see if it's remotely useful for figuring out how the cooling system works, but I'm entertaining the notion of a small cross gallery failure at the HG, which obviously fills me with joy but I can't really complain, is there ever such thing as a cheap Alfa [emoji23]

Having driven the 156 concurrently I'm pretty sure if I had picked up V6 156 that probably would've been the sweet spot for me. Although yes, I admit I've not yet parked the 159 without taking a look back, they are a stunning shape.

I think even if I keep this one running a 1750 159 is on the horizon [emoji4]

Sent from my T04 using Tapatalk

Citroënbender

Still driving it, or has the repair process commenced?

Pseudonym

I confess I have been remiss of late, my friendly hoist was tied up the other week so it's off at the mechanics to yay or nay the head and occasionally I remember that I own it [emoji23]

Pseudonym

After much scratching of noggins and driving by gauges it finally launched up a fireball to accompany the smoke last week - metaphorically speaking fortunately. It lost a bit of coolant here and there, occasionally there'd be traces of it in the oil, then I checked it after a run to work and the majority of the overflow bottle was missing and the oil looked like a macchiato. I can only theorize that the gasket material was hanging in there under low pressure and it finally gave up the ghost. Off to chat to the shop about whether it's worth saving or not [emoji19]

Citroënbender

Pseudonym

If I were obscenely rich or a mechanic with a masochistic fetish I'd give it an LS3 and the 120Y the 2.2L [emoji23]

Citroënbender

Citroënbender

So this is fixed now, per implication in other posts?

Pseudonym

Technically it'll be fixed soon, and technically it wasn't as much fixed as the problem replaced outright. And by problem I mean engine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

Whats the difference between a Datsun 180B & 200B?
20 mistakes!  ::)

;D

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Pseudonym

It might have been slightly less nuts to simply buy a 120Y and put a fibreglass 159 shell over the top like a doorslammer.

Did the head and the coolant was still in the oil. I went to Italy for two weeks and when I got back Leo had a new engine ready to go in and mine on a pallet with dirty crack in the bottom of a gallery. How this has dodged the pressure tests this far is beyond me.

The only plus side has been the replacement block is 60,000k old and they got the clutch assembly as well as mine was tired. Well that and I forked out for some port and polish and new valves - 25% increase in flow isn't bad but with perfect hindsight a straight engine swap would've made my wallet happier.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk