Transaxle Offset change from 45mm to 30mm

Started by 75TS, October 19, 2018, 10:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

75TS

Hi All,

I have asked a fair few in the know and nobody can tell me why alfa 75 2.5 (and the GTV6) were a 45mm offset and then when the 3 litre & twin spark came out it was changed to 30mm.

Would love to know what (if anything) changed with the front suspension or geometry?

I'm about to have some 3 piece wheels made up for my 2.5 75 and it would be a good thing to know the difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

105gta

Having a guess I'd say tire technology, perhaps check the wheel alignment specs as well...
A slight variation in static camber and wheel width with a different/newer tire, even brand of tire could dictate a difference in offset.
For the record the basic suspension geometry is the same for all models
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

GTV6SA

Calipers were different compared to earlier 2 litre versions

LaStregaNera

They changed the offset to fill the wheel arch flares better.
Twinspark and 3l 75 had flares stock, early 2.5 75 didn't
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Duk

Quote from: 105gta on October 20, 2018, 01:51:07 PM
Having a guess I'd say tire technology, perhaps check the wheel alignment specs as well...
A slight variation in static camber and wheel width with a different/newer tire, even brand of tire could dictate a difference in offset.
For the record the basic suspension geometry is the same for all models

Tyre
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

105gta

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

75TS

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I believe the front calipers for the GTV6 and later 75's were the same. The wheel arch spats on the later 75's makes a lot of sense. Next step is to look at the caster and camber differences as suggested.