I'm quite fond of the GT concept.
Any suggestions most appreciated.
Jack
1975 Veloce

pep105

Hi Jack
Do you mean 105 GT ?
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Sheldon McIntosh

Jack

Hey pep
I mean GT as in Grand Tourismo.
A long distance very fast and comfortable.
1975 Veloce

Davidm1600

Jack

Its a huge question you are asking for help on.  What price, year, make, model are you thinking of ?  Since this can perhaps colour the responses you may get.  If for instance you are talking modern Alfas, and you mention Gt, this then covers the modern GTV/GTV6 ('98 onwards), the Gt and the Brera (2.2 or V6).  These pretty much though are FWD which many don't like, but thats another discussion. 

However, if your desires and pocket extend beyond Alfa well there is a myriad of cars for choice.  Pep mentions the good old 911, and yes they are desirable (I wouldn't mind one), but the price for these varies enourmously depending on year, condition etc etc.  They also can be expensive to maintain but as I understand it are pretty reliable.  You could also consider a S2 944, 944 Turbo or even a 968.  Personally I wouldn't go for the 928.

There are obviously a broad range of Japanese Gts, from Skylines, Supras, to Silvias, or a WRX (I know 4 doors not really equates to the GT concept but still a lot of bang for your buck).  You could even think about the Hyundai V6 Gt (am I allowed to mention such cars on the Alfa Owners Forum ??).  I do recall the guys from Topgear (UK) that they actually liked this car.  Alternatively, perhaps a recent Monaro (yikes its getting worse).

Then you go into the modern exotica like Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Aston Martin or a Lotus or a Jag XK8.

Food for thought hopefully.  Cheers Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

k76

Since we are already straying away from Alfa's: BMW's are mostly ugly as sin, but good GT cars they make. The BMW 850 is surprisingly cheap in UK, hard to beat for a GT. I'm not so sure about the GT concept in Australia though, basically any car is fast enough for our speed limits so it just leaves comfort. Europe is different, you can sit at 160+km/h all day long only interrupted by some roadwork here and there, and the obilgatory fuel and wurst stops of course
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Gary Pearce

Hang on to your money. In 10 days time they are releasing a new GT in Italy.
I would love to see one on our next EMR Jack.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Davidm1750 on October 13, 2008, 01:00:06 PM
Personally I wouldn't go for the 928.

I would.  They're a brilliant car and of the people I've met who have an opinion on them they usually fall in to two camps.  Those who have never driven them (or only briefly), usually have a bad opinion of them, but never a concrete reason as to why.  And then there are those who have some experience of them, and they all, to a person, rave about the car.

There are so many reasons why the 928 is a great car, and I could write a novel about it, but I'll try and keep it brief.  My Dad owns a 928 and I had an article published in a NZ magazine comparing a 928S with a 911SC on the track, so I have some experience with these cars.

If you want to, you can just cruise in a 928.  It's a very comfortable car with leather everywhere (including the headlining!) and a very torquey V8.  But like an Alfa V6 on steroids, the engine REALLY comes on song over 4000 rpm.  Once you've revved it hard through a tunnel, you'll be looking for the opportunity again and again and again.....

The 928 is a heavy car, and you'll always be aware of that fact.  But the weight is very low down, and because it has a transaxle it is very well balanced.  Like a GTV6.  I've had one well out of shape on the track and it's very easy to correct and get it back under control.  The handling is very neutral and the steering is the second most communicative powered system I've experienced after my 90 (that's not a joke by the way, the 90/75 steering is sublime.  Second only to early 911s in overall feel, and the 911 is not power assisted.  This is only in my experience.)

Unlike a 911, or an early Alfa, you really can decide how you want to drive, ie relaxed or committed, and the 928 will reward either state of mind.

They're still a fast car.  1980 928S  0-60mph in 6.2 seconds (manual), 7.2 (auto).  They only got faster with the S2, S4, GT, GTS etc.

Still the only sports car to win the European Car of the Year (1978)

When they were released EVERY Porsche works driver had one as a company car, over a 911 or 911 Turbo.

Dirt cheap nowadays (but don't even think of buying one that doesn't have a good service record.  Or a pre-S, they weren't very good).

They really are a great car, and a real classic car bargain at the moment.  One of my favourite all time GTs.

Someone had a standard S4, on road tyres, at Sandown earlier this year while his racecar was out of action, and (while being careful) it was doing 36s, so they're a pretty quick car.

Hope this confuses things
Cheers
Sheldon

Davidm1600

Oops K76 is quite correct I totally forgot about BMWs, they sure made some fast crusiers, and in the case of the M3s sporting coupes (though not quite in the GT mould).

Ditto while personally i don't like the style of the 928, Sheldon is totally correct.  Definitely a cross continent GT, fast, comfortable etc, but go for the later ones as he says. They can be horribly expensive to fix though if they go wrong and have pretty poor fuel consumption.   For me, having driven both the S2 and the 944 Turbo, I prefer the grin factor of the Turbo over the S2.  Clarkson rated the Turbo in the top ten best sportscars he has driven.  I nearly bought one, and at times damn it all wished I had. Sure only 4 cylinders but with 250 BHP on tap pretty potent, and at least with accceptable fuel consumption.  944s are also extremely affordable these days.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

pep105

Sorry Jack,
Got 105s on the brain again !!!!! It was late Friday nite was looking up parts and after 4 err 5  :-[ beers.

I think Sheldon makes a good point Porsche 928 (S, S4, GTS) makes a good case so no need to add to whats been said. It also has handling that wont try and kill you.

944 - late S2 3 litre 155kw or Turbo or even the early nineties 968. Now I know these get bagged a lot as people think they are not real Porsches but I say rubbish - very underated. A bit like the Sud/Sprint is to Alfa diehards. If you can live with the stigma the reward is an extremly competent and well balanced handler, great value for money like the 928. A bit rare now too.

911 - well dont know about comfort or long distance especially the early ones but later model 964 and beyond seem more user friendly without diluting the driving experience too much. My favourite for reasons
unknown is the 993, which in Carrera S form is a great performer with as much power  as the original 3.3 litre 930 Turbo and you could possibly drive it every day or umm frequent ish !!! plus theres not heaps of them around like 996 or old 911s etc

Yeah BMW 8 Series or if you feel a bit more vintage maybe a 6 series coupe, theres an M6 for sale at the moment (import) 45K, my mate at work has one (not an M6 but a mock up) - a 635CSi JPS (import) with an E28 M5 engine in it and even though shes old (1978) she gets along quite well, and could cover long distances quite effortlessly.

Anyway just speculating depends on price, what u like etc

I wish I had your delema
Cheers
Pep

Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark