Twin spark turbo

Started by 75guygtvgirl, October 17, 2018, 10:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

75guygtvgirl

Hi guys just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience turbocharging a 2.0 ts? One of my 156's has blown the head gasket and the previous owner neglected the car terribly. I'm going to do a full rebuild but I would like a bit more power so I'm considering something like a wrx turbo running low boost. Just to get it around the 150kw/260nm mark. The gearbox and clutch have been rebuilt so I don't think they'll be a problem and I'm pretty sure European cv,s are pretty strong too. My only concern is whether or not the little twin spark can cope with the added stress of more power?

Citroënbender

There's a South African bloke who did his, can't remember the name [Edit: corriedw]. There was some chatter on AO about it, from memory. He had peripheral niggles, but was running in a harsher climate than you would be.

Craig_m67

Has been done to death in the UK/Eu

The exhaust manifold (turbo mount) from a 1.9JTD is a direct bolt on fit. Choose our turbo/ECU etc from there.  CVs and gearboxes/diffs are made of chocolate - so expect future issues

There are millions of dead 1.9JTD in the Uk where it outsold any other engine type at the time so you can probably get everything you need for a dollar if you search hard enough.   Have a squiz in the alfaownerUK website - again there are lots of build threads here, although mostly it's people working the derv to silly power/torques.

1.9JTD manifolds are available in Aust too of course, just not sure how many would be sitting in graveyards in Tas.

I need to get back there one day, very special place
Good luck
Would love to follow your progress, or research even in here

From memory somebody up this way (Brisbane) did a 156 turbo using this method also.. car was black .. google may find it for you
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

75guygtvgirl

I'm hoping the fact that I only want a slight increase in power will help keep the driveline happy. Thanks for your help

Citroënbender

You might be pleasantly surprised with how peppy a good rebuild without turbo, can be. Even if you just do rings and bearings "while you're at it".

75guygtvgirl

Yeah I definitely plan to do bearings and rings. If I don't turbo it I'll probably shave the head a bit and do header and exhaust

75guygtvgirl

I probably wouldn't have bothered with the rebuild if I hadn't just spent $2500 on timing belt and coil packs. Plus the little bugger is so much fun!!

Citroënbender

It's not silver is it? Saw a "new to me" 156 recently near University Way.

75guygtvgirl

No both ours are fantasia blue. We have a twin spark manual and a v6 auto

johnl

Is the standard compression ratio (10/1) a bit high for safe supercharging? Might not be an issue if boost is kept on the low side? Or would you be planning on lowering the CR?

Regards,
John.

julianB

Keep the boost to 15 psi max and the compression shouldn't be an issue if you're using an aftermarket ECU.

There was an 8v TS turbo into a GTV in Perth years ago and it made 150rwkw and a 75 TS turbo in Sydney that made the same and they were both on stock pistons.

It should pull pretty hard!
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project

johnl

So I'll assume it's doable without too much risk (though 15psi on a 10/1 CR still sounds ambitious to me...). I'd also assume that the electronic ands tuning side of the project would likely be as costly as the physical components, not to mention the 'recognised signatory' report / approval etc...

Regards,
John.

bonno

Hi 75guygtvgirl
Before you commit on a turbo conversion, have a look at the following summarised video to give you an appreciation of what is involved, even though it covers a Mazda MX5. Additionally check with your insurer if they will cover your car, even if the modification is engineered. The full set of videos totalling 4 is quite good and covers the conversion in some detail and associated mods to handle double the power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsfR_B5udeA
cheers
bonno

An additional video to the series covers the additional mods to handle the extra power (not to be overlooked). “Preparing the Mazda for battle” 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXPtUBfeoAk

75guygtvgirl

I'll check them out 🙂 like I say I'm only going for a pretty slight increase in power and torque so I would think the driveline would hold up. I'm only chasing an extra 30kw and 60nm.

75guygtvgirl

I just assumed the turbo route would be the most cost effective and reliable way to achieve the power gains. A highly strung high compression na engine would be awful on the street