2.5l 12valve V6 detensioner dribble

Started by ACE, October 13, 2018, 10:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACE

I have just refurbed the detensioner on my 2.5 12 valve V6 (along with a cam belt change)
350+ km of gentle driving, in several separate trips, and everything seemed tight. Nerry a drop of anything under the car for days afterwards.
But, following a subsequent engine oil/filter change, the detensioner has started "dribbling"!
(The previous oil change was about one year and 3000 km ago!)

The oil appears to be escaping from the base of the detensioner's hydraulic cylinder  I.e. past the seal on the piston shaft and through the bellows.

All seals, O rings, gaskets etc were replaced in the refurb.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And if so, could you share the magic incantation?

Thanks.

GTVeloce

Well according to my wife it involves sacrificing a chicken followed by a dance...

ACE

Thank you. I'm hoping that has done the trick, as it's on its way back together again 🙂

ACE

Quote from: sportiva on October 19, 2018, 03:11:35 PM
... the oil is leaking past the outside of the piston oil seal ...
Spot on Sportiva!
It took three attempts (belt off, detensioner off and dismantled ... then reassembly and reinstallation).
I sought assistance from fellow forumite, Luke Clayton last week.
He put the "cup", that the seal sits in, in his lathe and polished the seating surfaces.
I took it home, reassembled it and have just completed an 1800 km Tour with the Alpine Alfisti. And it's still dry :)

But the chicken and the dance gave me the fortitude to persevere.