164 stepper motors

Started by don67, October 07, 2008, 09:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don67

I have a 1989 164 with both stepper motors out of action (temperature control & airflow control).
Are these parts available? 
Has anyone had this repair done recently?
Can someone recommend a repairer to do this work?
I am on the North coast of NSW.
Thanks.

Doug Gould

There is a guy that makes aluminium gears for the stepper motors. I forget who, but a google search or review of the club magazine should let you find him. The steeper motors are similar to those used (from memory) in Saab and I think a Falcon, but would require disassembly to canibalise the gears only. The passenger side one is pretty easy to replace, but the drivers side is a lot more difficult. I actually managed to replace mine through the instrument binacle rather than remove the entire dashboard, although I'm not sure it was overall much faster.

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

don67

thanks for that doug. I will let you know what happens ;D

Evan Bottcher

I think the guys at Italian Job can supply the aluminium stepper gears:  http://www.italianjobauto.com/

(remember if you ring them to tell them you were advised on the club website - they are sponsors).
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

John Hanslow

I was at Monza Motors and spoke to Hugh about the same issue.  There is a generally available fix available now with metal gears.

If you look on the web at 164 Forum etc. you will find a link to 164 fixes and the is a full task beakdown (including photos) of how to replace the gears.  You start with removing the rear ashtray under the drivers armrest and work your way forward so you can see its a bit of a job. 

However you cab also to replace the auto geat selecter sliding cover at the same time which is another 164 issue.

As Doug mentioned, (also Hugh) there is an easier way of replacing the gears via the dash so its much quicker and less inconvenient.

JH

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

AR116

Check out this website

www.alfapro.com