Alfa Romeo needs a break

Started by alfagtv100 (Biggus), May 12, 2018, 11:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi all,

I have not visited the forum for a while due to the distractions of North Korea and Syria.
Not meaning to be 'challenging' but why don't people have anything to discuss about the Giulia within the forum of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Australia?
Seems bizarre to me, considering FCA answered our prayers - RWD, not shit, actually very good.
Is it simply due to the fact that not much goes wrong with these cars (so, not many 'please help' posts), or because not even an Alfisti would buy a current generation, Alfa Romeo?

Is Alfa Romeo dead?

Just asking.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

poohbah

We're all saving up ... and waiting two years for Alfa depreciation to kick in...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

As the day goes

bazzbazz

Maybe there are no posts on Giulias because everyone is too busy out enjoying them?  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Paul Gulliver

Might be a bit early for a Giulia " Barn Find Story" or a Giulia ashtray restoration project.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

ALF750

old thread, but hey, no new discussion on these models really so I'll post here.   Just bought a used Stelvio QV and drove it 1400km home.   I haven't driven a 105 or earlier Alfa - the 116 and 160 is more my area of expertise.   Didn't have any windy roads to try out either, unfortunately.    I don't want to be negative (I just spent a lot of money on it!), but a heavy SUV will never feel like an Alfa of old.   Throwing a light well balanced car into the corners and snicking through the (manual) gears is something alien to modern car buyers, I think (or maybe that's why they rave about the MX-5).   But. few build cars like that, and fewer people buy them apparently.   We need to keep the old cars going as a benchmark - my '79 Alfetta 2.0 surprises with it's daily practicality.   The Stelvio has enormous power but I felt a bit disconnected from the controls.    The auto gearbox, is an auto gearbox, and I haven't explored driving it with the paddles much to see if that improves the experience.    I keep wanting to use my left foot!    The steering is surprisingly heavy and is direct.   Due to alignment set up and tyre width there is some tramtracking - it is nervous on our bumpy country roads,.   I'm going to experiment with the setup when I get a chance and de-sensitize it, as I don't plan lapping the 'ring any time soon.   The brakes are incredible, but difficult to modulate at low speed about town (steel not C), and both pedals a bit light cf. the steering.   I went with the Stelvio over the Giulia as I live west of the ranges and the extra ground clearance is handy, as is the AWD when required, plus the load space.   And, as we get old climbing up out of the 'daily driver' wears thin - I plan to keep it a fair while.   I might have bought a fuel guzzling dinosaur, but you won't be able to buy a car like this in a few years I suspect.   Forza Alfa!

poohbah

I reckon we'll still be able to buy them in a few years and probably with an even bigger than usual Alfa depreciation discount.  But we probably won't be able to drive or insure them...
            1981 GTV

As the day goes

With the UK banning all ICE cars from 2030 there wont be much development or even fresh updates for Alfas fir the RHD market post 2025 is my bet.  Alfa really needs to talk up EVs if they are to survive.

bazzbazz

Lats face it, if they made a performance EV version of one of these they couldnt keep up with demand here.

But then you'd also have the problem of bogans driving Alfas!    :o

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

aggie57

Quote from: Australia on May 07, 2021, 06:56:32 AM
With the UK banning all ICE cars from 2030 there wont be much development or even fresh updates for Alfas fir the RHD market post 2025 is my bet.  Alfa really needs to talk up EVs if they are to survive.
They are.  The current Giulia platform is ditched, new EV platforms only going forward.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/04/22/alfa-romeo-kills-giorgio-platform-giulia-stelvio/
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

As the day goes

Told you. Alfa drives won't be the same.

poohbah

Bugger.

I've seen all the camo-pics of the next-gen Maserati sedan and SUVs and both use the Giulia/Stelvio chassis, but the sedan profile looks ridiculous to be honest cos its got a stretched front end (what's the point of stretching the chassis without adding to cabin space?).

Typical - They'll take the best and most authentic Alfa ingredients in decades and limit them to the most unaffordable brand in the "family".

Instead, Alfa will be left with rebadged bloody Peugeot hatchbacks.

1981 GTV

Alfapride

Ron's rides did a video saying another report came out saying the platform isn't dropped for Alfa...hope he's right and it stays for Alfa so we got authentic Alfa cars...goes to show however if it is ditched this is what happens people don't support the brand enough globally with new purchases
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

bazzbazz

Quote from: Alfapride on May 10, 2021, 08:46:20 PM
Ron's rides did a video saying another report came out saying the platform isn't dropped for Alfa...hope he's right and it stays for Alfa so we got authentic Alfa cars...goes to show however if it is ditched this is what happens people don't support the brand enough globally with new purchases

Well, here in Australia there is only one place to blame, Alfa Romeo Australia! (In its current organisational configuration)

I have never known of an enterprise that has done more to go out of its way to sink it's own brand, and at every opportunity to sabotage it's own sales.

And this is from a person who loves the brand, its character, it's automotive achievements & history.

When I was younger I looked upon Alfa Romeo as a elite marque of automotive engineering, and would never have believed that I would one day own one, never mind about work on them.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

As the day goes

Quote from: bazzbazz on May 11, 2021, 01:38:47 AM

Well, here in Australia there is only one place to blame, Alfa Romeo Australia! (In its current organisational configuration)

They were too interested in sponsoring Polo and not trying to sell the passion of the cars to a newer audience.