Toying with a Breaker - Reality Checks, please

Started by Citroënbender, January 04, 2018, 07:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Citroënbender

"Hey Siri,

Why are we doing this again?"

:P

[Aside] I've found (identified) the Covertly Missing Part.

You know how when you buy a complete parts car, inevitably there is something not quite as you expected? One I purchased had the entire TI suspension swapped out for junk.

Well, this car - when I first set eyes on it, I popped the boot and had a look at the crush damage. Boot wasn't really set to close again, such being the distortion of the shell. The next week when I came to pay and collect, strapped the boot down with an ocky, thought nothing of it. At my house that night, carefully latched the boot shut. The next time I went to open the boot, no dice - eventually I squeezed through the folded down seat back and released it manually. Having a look at the boot latch for sticking (I could hear the body module relay clicking when the release button was pressed) revealed no solenoid. I guess that would do it!

Citroënbender

What do I do with the side (curtain) airbags?

Any hit large enough to set these off, will render a car of this age/species economically unrepairable - so the market for spare side bags is presumably nil. 

Does anyone in Sydney want them to play with?

warsch

It's about time you name yourself AlfaBender.

Citroënbender

It'll be two years in April since I last bent anything. Hoping that timespan continues to grow.  )))

Been testing the eLearn method for dash removal, seems to work OK. Column lower uni was the most stuck I've ever encountered - had to violently jiggle the wheel left and right after removing the pinch bolt and spreading the joint clamp ever so slightly. Wasn't going to hammer or pry heavily.

Citroënbender

Hey Bazz - or anyone else who might have experience in this matter...

eLearn says you take out the magnesium dash frame and heater box as one. Is it not practicable to remove the heater box from under the dash frame, assuming the floor is down to the metal? Asking because I have memories of what a mongrel the frame top fixings were to access with the screen still fitted. 

Citroënbender

I'm disappointed nobody has insulted the quality of my offerings yet. :P Jousting sticks are available at extra cost, with any item offered.

Going to skive off a couple of bits as "Suit TS Cup" - not really good enough for a treasured road car but more than suited to tussling on a racetrack.

ugame

Quote from: bazzbazz on January 17, 2018, 02:26:37 AM
Quote from: Citroënbender on January 16, 2018, 09:48:00 PM
Broke out my mad panel beating skills from watching East European videos...  (Hey Warsch - khoroshiy rabota, net?)

Я бы не сказал русскому, что он часть Восточной Европы, безопаснее сказать ему, что это часть России!   ;)

LOL.

Re the prices at the start of this thread. I thought good condition leather interiors went for like $500+

Well that's what I see people asking on Gumtree anyway.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

ugame

Quote from: Citroënbender on January 13, 2018, 10:41:15 PM
Here's the car in question, it actually experienced "un bacio di legno", courtesy of a large bluegum.

First person to say "That'll buff out" wins a special prize - I'll sell them my next used oil filter at half the new trade price.  That's a bargain for road-tested premium quality parts.  :P

I've trailered it back to my catapecchia spacious abode, and will start dismantling it shortly.  Unfortunately, due to my rubbish Italian, negotiations will be preferably in Inglese.

Squash it on the other side and sell it as a GT :D :P
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS

Citroënbender

Good approach with the GT conversion; least effort maximum return.  8)

I moved the interior to Fleabay, not a single watcher, not one cheeky offer yet. Would rather someone felt they got $400 worth of seats at $200 than suffered buyer's remorse at a higher price. It's just my nature; if I borrowed your chainsaw it would come back clean, new chain, fuelled up. That sort of old-school idea of integrity and respect.

ugame

Hey is the breaker a manual BTW?

And if yes, is there much slop in the gear stick or is it tight with good selection?

Mine has heaps of slop and gear selection is finally getting tricky, especially reverse.

Given my boys are learning to drive in the car I was preparing my wallet for a brand new replacement assembly......

That breaker same bits as an 05? ;) ;)

Citroënbender

Bugger!  This one's a Selespeed.

The only manual gearshift I have that doesn't quite feel like a joyride on the town bike, is stashed in Wagga and I wasn't expecting to be near there for a few weeks.

You've seen the bushing kits from Partsworld, Desira, Steve whatshisface (Edit: Steve Brooke, AKA "panterasteve") etc, I take it? Sing out if not, I'll furnish some details. 

Job is possible (replacement or O/haul) on ramps/stands but allow a solid day. 

bazzbazz

Take the leather gaiter from the gearstick surround off and any other covering so you can see the nylon housing that the gear stick ball mount is captured in.

Make sure the nylon housing is not cracked or split, this also causes "sloppy gearstick syndrome".   :)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

All Rise!

(Magistrate Hoppit enters)

The Kangaroo Court is now in session.

:)

I'm trawling through a stack of largely irrelevant documents from the breaker, and found it has been on a diet of 5W40 FS for quite some time - say 60K of 127K total.

Now, this is something that many of us Would Not Do. Whether we stump up for Selenia or go Penrite, the key has been to seek out healthy levels of ZDDP in an oil, and a correct base/additive oil package generally.

The reason for seeking arguments in both prosecution and defence, is:

• I've already offered the motor to someone (before I was aware of this detail), and terms would likely be quite agreeable to both parties.
  • However, I seek to be upstanding in my dealings and would like a buyer to be best informed as to the likely prospects of their purchase.

Suggestions are invited; it has crossed my mind to get a lab oil analysis but not sure how much this costs in Sydney at present, nor where it may be done.