TCT transmission

Started by Palermo TI, October 01, 2017, 12:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palermo TI

QuoteModifyRemove
Hi Everyone,
Hope someone can help me. I was in traffic the other night, suddenly when it was time to move on, the tct flashed Neutral  with an alerting sound. I pressed on the accelerator but it wasn't going anywhere. I shifted it into Neutral  and then into Drive and it fixed itself. This is the second time it has happened.
Alfa spider Lusso 2004
Giulitta Distintive
Live the Dream

Citroënbender

Hi, sounds like it's timely to have the stored error codes read promptly by a person with Alfa-specific diagnostic equipment. It could be a tired accumulator, clutch out of range, a sensor error, low supply voltage - all sorts of possible issues.  The money spent on diagnosis is a better shot than playing "parts roulette". 

Craig_m67

Quote from: Citroënbender on October 01, 2017, 12:44:47 PM
Hi, sounds like it's timely to have the stored error codes read promptly by a person with Alfa-specific diagnostic equipment. It could be a tired accumulator, clutch out of range, a sensor error, low supply voltage - all sorts of possible issues.  The money spent on diagnosis is a better shot than playing "parts roulette".

OP signature suggests it's a Giulietta with TCT not a Selespeed. That said, yes. Get it checked by somebody who can read and understand the ECU(s) error codes
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

The TCT in a Giulietta IS a Selespeed, it just has dual clutches.  ( They just don't call it a Selespeed anymore)

The system layout is almost identical to the Selespeed in the 159 & Ducato.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Craig_m67

Really, so not a DSG 'type' box with twin shafts?
My mistake though if so, I thought a TCT box was a completely different animal

I don't understand how a Selespeed can use two clutches - given the original was just a std robotised box?  Will have to google🙂
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

Well it uses the same style setup as a Selespeed - pump to create the hydraulic pressure, accumulator to store the pressure, hydraulic actuator to depress clutches and change gears, sensors to read positional data and speeds, and a computer to control it all - exactly the same as the original Selespeed.

The TCT is of course a much more advanced animal than its predecessors, but all in all, it operates basically the same as earlier Selespeed units.

Read here and follow the link from my 3rd post on the page.

http://www.ausalfa.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13302&p=210446&hilit=TCT#p210446

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Palermo TI

Thanks to everyone one for your replies.
I'll inform Zegames. It is due for service soon anyway. They're very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alfa spider Lusso 2004
Giulitta Distintive
Live the Dream

Citroënbender

Quote from: bazzbazz on October 01, 2017, 05:48:03 PM
The TCT is of course a much more advanced animal than its predecessors, but all in all, it operates basically the same as earlier Selespeed units.
Surely the grand prize goes to the "SMG" gearboxes that attract maligners in the BMW world; they even say "Selespeed" on at least one part... :D

Mick A

It's a known problem with dual clutch boxes that they can overheat the clutches in stop start conditions sometimes.

Mick