New to Forum from NSW- Tragic Start with 1974 Spider but Recovering!

Started by dennisdoty, September 02, 2017, 05:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisdoty

Hi all

Just wanted to get started on the forum.

Everyone has a story and mine is short (about a month long). Bought a 1974 Veloce Spider in SA, had it shipped to NSW, took it to friendly mechanic for registration (who loves Alfas and has two spiders himself). Mechanic says "hmmm, where is compliance plate". Don't know says me. Was so excited that it fit the bill I totally forgot to check. I bought it from a dealer and he took it back and refunded money, so whilst heartbreaking it didn't break the bank as well.

So now I'm looking for another one (with a compliance plate). If anyone has one or knows of one (1974 or older) that's for sale would really appreciate it. Can't deal with a project car so needs to be in good to excellent condition.

You can get me on dennis@sitexcell.com.au or 0410 410 175.
Many thanks

four90s

Hi Dennis,

Can't help with a car but just a bit of advice. I'm currently chasing up a manufacturing date for a club member here in SA.
I believe that the requirement for a compliance plate only came in in the middle of 1974 so there may be a case for no plate if the vehicle was manufactured up to May 1974.

Still chasing up so can't give a definitive answer, but it's something to consider.

Regards
Steve Weedon
Historic Registrar
AROCA(SA)
Adelaide.
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

lombardi

Steve , really interesting as i have a 74 spider and was told same thing re compliance plate , i guess thats 2 opinions , must be correct and happy for that
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

rowan_bris

I have had plenty of earlier Alfas that had compliance plates.