Shudder under acceleration - 159JTD

Started by scooter, November 14, 2017, 08:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

re: 2008 159 JTD 2.4L diesel Auto. 215,000km on clock.
Im currently experiencing a significant "shudder" under acceleration, feels like a lose wheel, whole car shakes. Highway cruising is very good with no shudder at all.
Tyres all ok, Mechanic suspects fuel injection issues causing engine to shake??
Injectors tested using Bosch analysis m/c: -0.47, -0.15, -1.40, 4.27 and -2.23
Just want to know if this is a known issue and if it is likely to be injector related or possibility drive train related?
Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks Andrew

105gta

More than likely it's your inner cv joints by your description. Have seen this on a few 159's.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

Craig_m67

Inner CV's.. Or the cups poking out the gearbox, in which the drive shaft sits/runs via a trilobe spider... wear out like a bastard on the 2.4 (torque death)

The LH one on my car is toast.. round abouts are no longer any fun at all, nor are long sweeping RH bends.

Get them checked (hard accel on tight cornering), rebuilt/replaced
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Citroënbender

What if it were more than one contributor? Buckled wheels are becoming more common with the trend to low sidewalls.

The injector correction should be investigated further, just don't play random swapsies or hot disconnects...

Evan Bottcher

It's been a while since we had our 159 JTDm and my memory has faded pretty badly, but I recall a juddering under acceleration caused by a combination of blocked open EGR valve and sticking swirl valves.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

scooter

Thanks everyone, cornering and roundabouts aren't an issue, doesn't seem to be related to cornering at all. More commonly during acceleration, even with a slight hill and acceleration to maintain speed. Even at 1,500 to 2,000 rpm Have been quoted $3,000 to replace and setup new injectors which ill prob have to pay, but dont want to find it doesn't fix the problem.

105gta

Hi Andrew, from your descriptions I believe it is your inner cv joints. Light cruise (highway) is no problem but medium load, pulling up hill etc... feels like the whole car shakes side to side is the inner cv's binding up. Under Hard acceleration the load overcomes the issue and doesn't feel so bad. Basically. Very light and very hard acceleration you get the normal tractor like vibrations from an Alfa diesel, but medium loss you feel the whole car shake because the driveshafts are binding at certain angles. Easy to reproduce on a hoist by applying brakes and accelerate (turn off the traction control)  You can see the suspension fight itself and flex and push on directions you wouldn't  think possible.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

Citroënbender

Quote from: Andrew 159 on November 15, 2017, 02:01:13 PM
...Have been quoted $3,000 to replace and setup new injectors which ill prob have to pay, but dont want to find it doesn't fix the problem.
If you do go down the route of further investigation of an apparent injector issue, you may well find new OEM injectors cheaper overseas. But run all the other stuff to ground first, like swirl flaps and EGR function, as mentioned. I'd honestly not be surprised if the net lifetime pollution from an "everyday" CR diesel is close to that of an equivalent capacity timed pump diesel.

scooter

Hi 105gta, Thanks for your reply, your explanation makes sense and describes my issue perfectly. Ill put the injectors on hold and check the inner CV joints.
Thanks again for your words of wisdom.