Alfa Romeo 2008 - 147 -Selespeed - Car turned off while driving - wouldn't start

Started by Rajat, May 15, 2017, 03:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajat

Hi Guys

I am new to Alfa - driving 147 selespeed 2008 model. I am facing this issue from past couple of days. It happened to me 3 times now.

1st time: I was waiting for lights to go green and car was in 1st gear - and car switched off on the road and when i try to restart again - engine would turn but car wouldn't fire up.  I pulled the car to the side and as i was about to give up it fired up after about 20-30 min.

2nd time : it was parked and it wouldn't start - but 5 min later it started again.

3rd time: today morning again on traffic lights  was in neutral - switched of again on me - engine would turn but same story - after 25 min start again.
Straight after that drove to MIDAS oakleigh(Mechanic) today - he said could not diagnose as they are really busy today - n asked me to come some other day.

Guys any clue what going on ? I have started to develop trust issues with my car.
Any help will be appreciated.

Neil Choi

Not a mechanic, crank angle sensor?
Take it to an Alfa mechanic. 
If it is CAS, should be an easy fix.

Rajat

@Neil Choi.. Thanks for your reply.. can crank angle be replaced/fixed at home.. Is there any video or pictorial representation for that?

Neil Choi

Sounds like CAS, starts and runs when cold, stops when hot, starts again when cooled.
But others who are real Alfa mechanics will confirm.  What do I know, I run LCMSMS's.

Try this.
http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_147_156_gt_crank_shaft_sensor_replacement.shtml

Mick A

Citroënbender

If the sensor is going open circuit, when it cranks but does not start there should be a flaky or absent movement of the tachometer needle.

Craig_m67

If it works when cold, then not when hot... crank angle sensor.
There will be an ECU error code if you can get them read to confirm this.

The crank sensor is on the back of the block, underneath the starter motor and held in place with an Allen screw/bolt (6mm from memory) and small o-ring.

The sensor (Hall effect) pushes through a small hole in the block and reads a (calibrated) wheel on the crankshaft, looks like a thin waterwheel wheel with lots of (63/127?) tiny slits in it.

Easiest to get to from underneath unless you have extremely fine and long limbs.
It's the only sensor on the block in that position.
OE is Bosch, bound to be an Australian supplier or equivalent, not that expensive

Indeed SuperCheapAuto lists three different manufacturers and two types (with and without cable) of which Bosch are the cheapest at $85./ (go figure)

Take your VIN, engine code/type/number etc., in and ask them
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Rajat

Hi Guys
I am getting it scanned tomo morning (as they are charging me nothing for scan) and will keep you guys posted on the error code. After hearing to all of you I am sure they gonna point to crank sensor then will buy one from supercheap auto and get it fixed.

Anyways, I am still driving the car after incident (70kms done) and just keeping the foot on the accelerator when i stop on the lights. I don't know if that helps but did not shut down on me again. But i am scared though :) . Will be fixed by tomo.

Craig_m67

Supercheap will not have the part in stock, it will be a 24hr min. overnight delivery

Rajat

Hi Guys

Got it checked..they scanned the computer and they have confirmend that it is crank angle sensor. I have got the part from supercheap auto .. but i m now in a fix... as suggested in the link (shared by @NeilChoi) above it should be brown clip.. http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_147_156_gt_crank_shaft_sensor_replacement.shtml - shared by @NeilChoi

but i can't see any brown clip under my hood. photo attached...
Car is 2008 selespeed 147 - motor engine AR32310.

Guide please.

Craig_m67

Citroënbender

Did you get Bosch part number 0 261 210 160 or 0 261 210 227?

One has a "tail", the other does not.  That with no tail, connects immediately at the sensor itself.

FWIW Bosch Australia now has an auto parts division that sells direct to anyone and the prices are sometimes below what a non-account trade customer pays.

Rajat

Hi Guys

Thanks for your support.

Crank Sensor has been replaced few days back. Car is working better, accelerates better - but not many kms done after replacement.

My car required without tail/wireless crank sensor.

Thanks once again. I think this should be the end of it :D fingers crossed.