The silver105 in for some work !

Started by Silver105, May 08, 2017, 10:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver105

Whoops small mistake rectified... it's Polo Body Works in Braeside Victoria where my car is having the cosmetic surgery not Polo Panels as there is a panel beater in Sydney called Polo Panels. Vito just pulled me up on my error !!! Anyway more photos to come. Cheers JJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver105

Progress....

bonno

Hi Silver105
The body looks in fantastic condition and in considerably much better condition to the one in the first Youtube video attached. Points of interest are at
1.   At 1 min mark covers condition of car and fitment of rear section
2.   At 19 min mark covers the Surface preparation and the importance of Surfacer coat.
3.   At 23 min mark fabricate body panels and sills,
4.   At 27 min mark Alignment of hood panel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOpcM3oBsQo
A second video made by these guys covers various aspects of what to look out for when buying a GTV, in particular problematic areas such as front suspension sub frame cracking, battery acid corrosion and pitfalls of buying a donor car for using it for body panels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfTEGzUtrA

Silver105

Yes seen these guys before, great videos !! Not sure if I would have bought one if I had seen these videos first but live and learn. I'm all in now !

Silver105

Progress...now the hard work begins in fixing the imperfections!!

Citroƫnbender

Really "nice old school" repair to that OSR quarter in your stripped photos. I like seeing that sort of history.

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Silver105

Yes staying the same colour as the engine bay internals etc are not being really touched so it has to be the same silver !

Silver105

Ok slow progress but here are some of the recent works. Correcting some of the lines from the previous resto metal work, got the correct boot lid for the model ( previous one was made to fit. It was for an earlier model 105 which is why it did not sit well enough. The boot was an issue so had to work on the lines to make it straight and sit correctly when shut. Moved to the front and also started on the nose which was all over the shop. Anyway lots more work to do but glad Vito is being so pedantic !

bonno

Hi Silver105
Those shut lines and gaps are looking spot on and I suppose the next step prior to paint is getting those body panels straight and aligned perfectly. The car should look brilliant when finished and I bet you can't wait to get her back on the road in the not too distant future.

Silver105

Yes the lines were important and getting those body panels straight is key. The metal work done previously was generally ok as in the car had no real rust but some surface rust, but it was just the lines and alignment were annoying and what i would look at every time I went into the garage ! Little things I didn't notice we are fixing along the way like the badges that were used were new repo's but they are not great, the colours are a little off and even things like rubbers around the headlights that fit into the chrome work I didn't have. The rear is what I'm most happy with. The rear taillight a had a gap between the lights and the metal work as the shape of the boot curve had been adjusted due to the metal work. So the photo with the lights correctly fitting the curve of the rear is great as before I could get a pencil behind the gap... So I think the outcome will be great when finished. Unfortunately won't make spectacolo this year but will hopefully have her on the road for a club ever before the end of Feb.  JJ

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Simply lovely. In my opinion, cars like this look their best in 3 stages.
Order of excellence:
Bare metal.
Primer / undercoat
Paint.

Yours looks like it will nail all three. Very nice.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Silver105

Hello all,

Have not posted some photos for some time and progress has been slow, however nearing paint now. In final primer and the lines are coming out really good. Hope to have it back on the road in the next two months. 

Cheers JJ

Silver105

Hello all,

Here are the last few progress shots with paint...final shots will follow

Silver105

And now the final shots post assembly ! Very happy with the final product ! She has come up sooooo goood, the lines and finish is to such a high standard that I'm glad Vito was so anally retentive with making me go the extra mile on a few things !