On Board Diagnostic software

Started by Craig C, August 02, 2008, 05:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig C

Has any one had any experience with OBD software from ebay for example.

I assume you load it onto a laptop, use a cable to connect it to the car and then it performs the Alfa Examiner role.   I noticed that there are other versions that are an electronic box that connects the laptop to the car and I gather with that one that the software is hardwired into the device.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Open-Gates
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0

doube_zero

you are braver than I if you want to plug one of those things in and try reprogramming anything :o

the obd is a limited subset of info available and is generally limited to emissions issues. You can buy cheap obd inspection things from jaycar et al and they dont make claims that you can Perform Miracles with them - only look and see if your lambda sensor is stuffed (or any other sensor that may offer similar symptoms)

im using the durametric software which allows me to view and reset most of the functions of my on board computers however it (thankfully) does not allow me to reprogram my engine maps or change the way my airbags go off..

sheer lunacy i think. ???

if you wanted to reprogram the ecu map as the fleabay thing suggests you can you would have to extract the .bin file from it, edit the thing and then reflash it into the ecu - a fine way to end up with a dead ecu (or any other device with a flashable executable) if you arent particularly adept at what you are doing.

id stay well clear of the fleabay thingy. :o :o :o

doube_zero

;D ;D saw this at the bottom of the listing  ;D ;D

ATTENTION TO EBAY STAFF
All the information included on this DVD is available in the public domain and licensed as either Freeware or under the GNU Open Source Licence. This listing does not break any of your rules or regulations, and fully conforms with the compilation of international downloadable media policy. No Trademark copyrights have been violated with this listing.

Craig C

Thanks for that response.  My main interest was in reading diagnostic information so your Jaycar suggestion is very helpful.  I will also look at the software you suggested.  I take it that this will give a more sophisticated response with more useful information.
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0