2012 alfa 159 3.2

Started by fgv, December 05, 2016, 08:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaleuclint

Quote from: As the day goes on December 19, 2016, 08:12:23 PM
Quote from: kaleuclint on December 15, 2016, 11:34:57 AM
1750 also some 277kg lighter.  Has the torque of the V6.  Also has the thirst of the V6 I suspect.

Possible o/seas relocation means I might sell mine.  I'll think about it...

Work?

Yes work; not much available in Australia and my reputation and profile are very much in Europe.  Still wondering whether to store the 159.  Might be more sensible to buy a RHD Giulia or Ghibli in Europe and bring it back eventually as a personal import.

Don't assume the 1750 is some kind of 'economy' engine people; it definitely isn't.  Would have made far more sense for the TBi to have been 2.0-2.2 litres with a bigger turbo.  Seems the Giulia has sorted that.

Those weight figures, thinking the 135kg is the FWD V6 and the 277kg might be the Q4?

Can't say I use U98 as a performance fuel.  My Mercedes gets Ultimate / V-Power too and it has U95 as recommended from memory, and my Saab can use U91 (though they can use anything really).  My BMW bikes (2 valve heads converted to lead free) also run U98.  Hopefully improved mileage offsets the extra cost. I have no idea if 'premium' fuel has better detergent qualities that lower octane.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

fgv

Colin - that's good to know that we have some reliable places to look after alfas.. and not even having to travel far within melbourne too.

kaleuclint - are you set on getting a giulia? what are your initial impressions from the reviews / specs etc?

Thijsvr

You should be able to find a V6 Q4 manual sedan. I've seen quite a couple show up over the past few months, both in TI and non-TI. A manual wagon is harder to find.

You can setup a saved search on www.carsales.com.au and have it automatically notify you about new cars that match your search criteria. I have that for a manual SW V6 Q4 TI. Unable to tell you if the notification system actually works, because none have shown up so far ;)

kaleuclint

I haven't driven a Giulia fgv (and wasn't invited to the launch function in Melbourne, and devoid of recent trips to Europe haven't seen one in the metal) so I'm reliant on the reviews of others.  It's obviously a great improvement over the 159 and RWD, and I suspect there's much to like.  But it'll need to be the equivalent of the Ti and have a sunroof!  From online images I'm not sure I like the interior, but everyone else seems to.

A big issue for me is the transmission.  My Alfas have always been manuals.  Maybe this is the car for the inevitable switch to auto?  The other big issue for me is ... the Maserati Ghibli!!  I might just step up to that instead if auto trans is the go.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Craig_m67

I don't think Australia brought in a Q4 Manual Sportwagon in Ti Spec.
The model exists but they're all just high line or whatever ePer has for "everything", not branded Ti.

I saw a blue one once, should have bought it on the spot.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Thijsvr

Quote from: kaleuclint on December 29, 2016, 12:58:42 PM
I haven't driven a Giulia fgv (and wasn't invited to the launch function in Melbourne, and devoid of recent trips to Europe haven't seen one in the metal) so I'm reliant on the reviews of others.  It's obviously a great improvement over the 159 and RWD, and I suspect there's much to like.  But it'll need to be the equivalent of the Ti and have a sunroof!  From online images I'm not sure I like the interior, but everyone else seems to.

A big issue for me is the transmission.  My Alfas have always been manuals.  Maybe this is the car for the inevitable switch to auto?  The other big issue for me is ... the Maserati Ghibli!!  I might just step up to that instead if auto trans is the go.

I haven't driven it but I've seen it and sat in it. I still don't like the way it looks, it has the line of a 3 series and the front just is off. Not as beautiful as the 159. It's much better looking in real life than on pictures though.
The interior is really good, but very safe. I like the 159, it's weird and you have to get used to it for a bit in the beginning. The Giulia is more generic. It could easily have been a Mercedes or BMW interior. That's not a bad thing perse I guess, everything feels and looks good but there's just not that much to fall in love with. It'll sell well though. Oh and personally I think the satnav screen is too small in comparison to the entire black thing they put it in. It doesn't look right.

There is no TI spec for the Giulia (yet), they have a 'Veloce' pack that sort of is the same idea. Those are also available with manuals. At least in the Netherlands they are.

I'm sure you'll like the car. It feels more grown up than the 159.

Thijsvr

Quote from: Craig_m67 on December 29, 2016, 01:00:11 PM
I don't think Australia brought in a Q4 Manual Sportwagon in Ti Spec.
The model exists but they're all just high line or whatever ePer has for "everything", not branded Ti.

I saw a blue one once, should have bought it on the spot.

That's a shame. The 159 in TI spec is the best looking wagon ever made in my opninion. Guess I have to decide what to give up then. TI, Q4, SW, manual... :)

fgv

do people get invited to these launches, kaleuclint? or do you have to register? sounds like an interesting event to go to.
its funny that we have different preferences - id prefer a front wheel drive rather than rear, and smaller wheels.. and no sun roof.. but i guess there's something for everyone, and it's the variety that makes it interesting :)

kaleuclint

The dealers certainly have a database of owners as I get offers and invitations from Zags and LDs.  You'd think FCA Australia might have a consolidated database based on what the dealers have and from warranties.

Given I bought successive 159s and am overdue for a replacement, it wouldn't take a direct marketing genius to figure I'd be a prospective Giulia buyer. 

The Levante I'm also interested in; no invitation to the launch of that either. 

What might be happening is an effort to built up the hype and profile for both vehicles.  FCA, the dealers and/or their PR agencies turn on swanky events and get the "right crowd" of supposed celebrities, bloggers, etc. along to gain exposure (I work partly in PR but not in this consumer area, thankfully).  Some of course are paid to be there, or worse still are 'brand ambassadors'.  Upshot is that the people who are actually likely to put down money and buy these cars aren't actually invited to launches.  Another reality is that they aren't targeting 159 owners or any Alfisti; they are targeting 3-series / C-class (I'm one of those anyway) / A4 owners and prospects looking to move up from their GTIs.

My advice?  Make the current owners feel special.  Invite them along.  Get a Giulia to an AROCA club night.  Organise an AROCA members only drive day.  The converted are the easier segment to market to, and the most likely to advocate for the product (accepting we will not be influencing the first time Alfa buying prospects in all probability).  Sadly distributors aren't particularly intelligent in this regard and think that handing out freebie cars to chefs / sportspeople / actors in the hope of exposure in Drive of a Saturday and as drawcards to an event is clever. 
2011 159ti 1750TBi

As the day goes

Quote from: kaleuclint on January 02, 2017, 09:33:10 PM
no invitation to the launch of that either. 

After I saw the recent call out for Giulia's for the polo match I went to the AR website for this event and saw this:

http://www.portseapolo.com.au/gallery/

"The open-air catwalk that attracts 6000 beautiful people."

FFS!  Who thought of this shite?

I have to say I am outraged and really am wondering if I want to be associated with AR events.

bazzbazz

Quote from: kaleuclint on January 02, 2017, 09:33:10 PM

The Levante I'm also interested in; no invitation to the launch of that either. 

My, my, we DO think we're special don't we!   ;)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

kaleuclint

Portsea Polo?  I recall that being promoted as "aspirational".  So much in fact that one Lara Bingle (remember her?) was featured in the promotion.  Yuk!!  Suspect Alfa involvement is a throwback to the Clyde Campbell era.  Cheapens the Alfa brand.

But how special am I, Baz?  I got to live at the Portsea venue  -- and got paid to do so.  Free food back then too, and the clothes were thrown in...

No, I didn't expect an invite to the Levante launch for the reasons expresseed above.  Wonder if they targeted prospective / current Maserati owners or Cayenne / X5 types?  Probably neither.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

bazzbazz

Quote from: kaleuclint on January 04, 2017, 01:40:27 PM

But how special am I, Baz?  I got to live at the Portsea venue  -- and got paid to do so.  Free food back then too, and the clothes were thrown in...

My, they DO look after the "help" well don't they  . . . . . . .  ;)  (And yes, I am jealous)   ;D

And as we both know, I am very special too . . . . .but we are talking a much different form of special in this case!   ::)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Colin Edwards

What has any of this got to do with a 2012 159 3.2???

Hi FGV,

Back on topic.....................purchasing my 159 from Zagames was a result of me asking them to look out for one.  Dealers can have connections in very appropriate places!!   

The purchase of the car a bit over a year ago probably also contributed to receiving an invite to the recent Zagame show room opening and Giulia launch.  Owning a high end 159 can have the odd fringe benefit!   These 159's cost around $85K back in 2009.  Purchase one from a dealer today for around $20K and they may offer you a drive of the new Giulia?
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

As the day goes

I think the point being is that AR seems to be wanting to market itself to a certain monied demographic these days.  Forgetting that many Alfisti are middle class etc.

By all means if you are poor and want to spend $85 to go and look at the cool cats at Portsea, then all power to you.