2012 alfa 159 3.2

Started by fgv, December 05, 2016, 08:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgv

hi everyone!

this year i've been just about ready to get the car i've wanted in a long time, the alfa 159. then i realized i wasn't sure whether the spec i'm looking for is actually available in australia.. which made me wonder whether i was waiting for something that wasn't produced.
ideally i would like a recent year production (2011-2012), all-wheel-drive 3.2 manual transmission, with low mileage (less than 50k km if possible).  i actually would prefer a more basic trim (non-Ti), but i'm not sure if all the 2012 v6s were automatic/Ti. would anyone be able to confirm that what i'm looking for actually exists . i've been looking on carsales for a while and it never shows up, or perhaps people aren't selling.

and if anyone has one of the above in white or red, i would be interested if you are thinking of selling! =)
thank you in advance for any replies.

SusSelesp

This ones pretty amazing but priced accordingly and an auto...in NSW

This one!

kaleuclint

What you want exists in Ti form.  A red V6 AWD manual sedan with low km was on the market about a year ago for a very reasonable price (sorry!).  I remember it because if I didn't own the 1750 I would have bought it.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Colin Edwards

I looked at two red 159 3.2's a little over a year ago.

The first one - at a dealer in Port Melbourne very close to work and was advertised as a Ti Q4 - just what I wanted.  On close inspection it lacked a tail shaft, diff and rear drive shafts!!!  When I quizzed the car rat re the false advertising and misrepresentation he went VERY quiet.

The second red 159 3.2 did have a tail shaft, rear diff and drive shafts.  And a Q4 badge on the boot, however it was not a Ti, although it was advertised as one!!

I purchased my "genuine" 2009 3.2 manual Q4 Ti from Zagames in Richmond soon after the above experiences.  I asked they call me if any owner of a manual 159 V6 Q4 Ti was looking to sell.  Robert was very helpful.  I wanted red but settled for black.  I understand series II 159's in the spec I wanted were only available in white, black and silver. 
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

poohbah

its not red or white, and it is a sportwagon but just spotted this Q4 Ti on carsales.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-159-2009/SSE-AD-4115999/?Cr=1

Looks like there are also a couple of Q4 sedans for sale - but all around the 08/09 MY.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

fgv

thanks for the the thoughts, guys..

ALCMQ - that IS pretty amazing! that's almost in new condition.. having driven a manual all my life though, i find driving an automatic a weird experience; just can't get used to it! otherwise would get this car, this week!

kaleuclint - nice to know! how do you feel after owning the 1750 version instead? by many accounts it seems like as good an option?

Colin Edwards - in general, is it worth having a look around at the dealers, or not much chance of finding anything vs online? that's quite dodgy that they did that.. good thing you knew exactly what you were looking for.

poohbah - it does seem like a lot of v6s are pre 2010..

i wonder if i should broaden my options to the 1.75 version.. there is one that looks in fantastic condition on carsales that seems like an attractive one to get.
part of the my thoughts about getting the 3.2 is that having a more powerful engine might have more longevity in the long run rather than a turbo; but i don't know if that logic is correct or even makes any sense at all. i also have driven friend's (non-alfa) AWDs and have liked them. but it also seems people speak well of the 1.75 engine.
is there a consensus in terms of long-term reliability between the two versions? i intend to keep the car for as long as possible, like i have with my current car.
and is there a reason there are so few white 159s?

Colin Edwards

The 1750 handles nearly as good as the 3.2 Q4 Ti, however the V6 can be a tad thirsty - its a heavier car.  The Q4 has better weight distribution however you pay for it at the petrol pump!

The missus purchased a 2015 Giulietta QV at Zagames last year.  While we were there I asked them to look out for a "good" 159 3.2 Q4 Ti manual.  It took 4 - 5 months but I ended up with the black beast!  Very few Alfa dealers stock much in the way of used Alfas.  However I believe Zagames will be opening a pre-owned department shortly.  Looking online will reveal a number of cars however many are not what they are cracked up to be unless you find a car from an active AROCA member.

I believe the production of V6 Q4's stopped around 2010 < 2011.  After that all 3.2's were FWD.

The JTS V6 is a torquey engine that doesn't need to rev to provide average performance.  It will however very happily spin to 7K in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear! 
All JTS engines and turbos need oil changes around every 10K.  The 3.2 JTS also needs new plugs every 35K < 45K.  No way they last the 80K as suggesting in the owners manual!! 

Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

fgv

Colin - that's great info.
do you think the FWD V6's end up handling similar to the 1750s because of the weight distribution being more at the front end? and therefore do you think the ideal setup would be to get the AWD 2010 version?

i'm not worried about fuel economy, and i'm not really a fast drive either. but i really appreciate a good ride and comfort; my guess is that any version of the 159 will have enough weight. what you mentioned about not needing to rev for it to go - is really what i'm looking for in a car; easy power without pushing it!
so if you were to do it again in 2017.. how would you order your preferences in picking out a version of the 159?

i'll make sure i do those changes at regular intervals! =)

poohbah

QuoteI believe the production of V6 Q4's stopped around 2010 < 2011.  After that all 3.2's were FWD.

Well that would explain why there are mostly 08/09 V6 Q4s advertised then!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Colin Edwards

Hi FGV,
Any measure that contributes towards 50:50 weight distribution is a good thing.  If you're not concerned about fuel economy then I guess a V6 AWD / Q4 is probably the way to go. 
The manual V6 Q4 Ti may be a rare beast.  However funnily enough I drove beside one tonight!  Not sure what year though.  This had a "Q4" badge on the rear whereas mine does not.  The cars built in 2008 and later are about 50kg lighter than the pre 2008 159's.  Maybe the badge was omitted in 2008 to save a bit of weight!?!

If I were to do it all again I wouldnt change a thing.  The manual gearbox was a pig when cold until I changed the oil to Penrite Pro Gear GL-5 75w-85.  The 159 is my daily drive and I somtimes wish it was an auto.  But on the weekends..................never!!!!   Another 50kg lighter in the front and a TCT would be perfect.
If you cant get a Ti you can at least turn it into a Ti from a suspension point of view with springs and a set of Koni Yellow Sport dampers.  Had the Konis fitted last week and they have transformed the car. 
Colin
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

fgv

halo Colin!
haha, that is funny! i've seen that weight reduction mentioned before, and seems to also match the specifications on sites like honest john etc. apparently they used some lighter components?

happy to hear you liked your choice; its very satisfying to want what you have =)
sorry i wasn't clear in my original post; i would actually quite like a non-Ti, just so could have smaller wheels (17 or 18 inch). but its not a big deal either way.

there is one 2010 v6 manual on carsales at the moment - black in colour. do you think that is kind of the spec you mentioned? it says its AWD on the specs but i suppose anyone can list anything, just as your story about the car dealer.
i wonder if next year a number of v6 awd's will emerge into the market? haha

Colin Edwards

G'day fgv,

The one on CarSales in ACT looks ok. Probably one of the last V6 Q4's to be made if the MY 2010 is accurate.
If I did not have mine I'd possibly be heading north up the Hume this very moment!
Only one way to find out for sure.....................................!
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Brera Tas

Hi everyone just thought I would mention this, I own an Alfa Brera JTS 3.2 Q4 and have just completely rebuilt the Alloytec V6 engine my stumbling block are the Bosch injectors, I need to find 4 -6 new ones and at $750 each from Alfa they are very expensive. We have cross referenced them to a GM number but apparently they are no longer available. Any suggestions?   

Colin Edwards

Apparently Zagame in Richmond can source the Bosch(?) $400 equivalent. 
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

fgv

Brera Tas - that sounds like an exciting project, but any reason it needed to be rebuilt already? also how much did you set aside for a budget for this reconditioning, and how would you say its going?

Colin Edwards - i like your enthusiasm for the v6! haha! i think i might have to go for the newer 1.75 thought, after all that.. as i think after 6+ years it will be quite hard to find something relatively new.. at least the 1.75 had a 2012 production run. and its pretty hard to find a manual car.. it seems less than a third of modern cars are in manual