unusual 156 wheel arch problem

Started by poohbah, December 11, 2016, 12:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

My 156 has developed a rather odd problem.

Came back to the car after a drive and noticed the inside lip of the drivers side wheel arch was pinched downwards at the very top of the arch - like a paper crease had unfolded.

Using my precision adjustment tool (ball pein hammer) I gently belted it back into shape and thought no more of it. Then I noticed it had happened again a few days ago.

Repeated the process to fix it, but I obviously would like to address the root cause.

Only thing I can think of is that in certain circumstances the tyre wall rubs against the lip and drags the it down (maybe on a big bump, possibly while turning). I can't see any scrape marks on the tyre however.

The car is lowered, but it seems there is exactly the same amount of clearance on both sides, and the left front does not have this issue. I also recently had new tyres fitted, but that should make no difference as same tyre type/size were fitted (Conti MC5 215/45R17).

My interim measure is just to "shape" the inside lip so that instead of sitting square (parallel to the ground) the lip is angled slightly upwards at the top of the arch, thereby reducing its lateral width and hopefully preventing any future contact with the tyre. But it's not a very sophisticated solution.

So wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue, and whether there might be some other cause (suspension related)?
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

V AR 164

I cannot speak on behalf of 156 owners, however front wheels do come into contact with the fender and cause the same problems you are stating. Only way to get around it is to 'roll' the fenders. That is folding in the lip so it sits flush with the inside of the fender, reducing the size of the lip.

It is weird though, as you mention there are no signs of wear on the tyres, maybe go and have a very close look right across the tyre, it doesn't always rub on the tyre edge.

I will soon need to roll my front fenders as the wheels do rub slightly when taking hard turns. Not that it is damaging the metal, but I am getting black tyre rub marks on the lip. Maybe something you should inspect too, check if there are any rub marks on the paintwork.

The joys of lowered cars, haha.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

poohbah

Cheers Andrew, that is pretty much the solution I have settled on. Since I shaped inner lip so it is narrower than usual, problem hasn't reappeared ... yet.

On another positive note, the air-con is now working again. It seems the dodgy electric switch on compressor has decided to function. Bloooody looooxury.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)