147 gta selespeed opinion

Started by 105greg, November 24, 2016, 08:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

105greg

Hi all ,  I would like an opinion on this ,especially from past or current Gta selespeed owners. I'm in the market for a Gta. I will put a scenario out there . Two Gtas similar service history one manual one selespeed same kilometre say 100 000 .   Selespeed would suit as my wife doesn't do manual so she could drive me home from pub .  I'm not worried about the manual but I'm very scared about a selespeed nightmare. From
Here on in will be lucky to do 3000km a year.    Love to know any nightmare stories or great ones on the gta taking into account it is a different system.    Appreciate feed back in advance.  Regards.

bazzbazz

Ok, you have gotten THE most important piece of info right first go!
They are COMPLETELY different animals!

The standard 156/147 Actuator had all the main operating components in one single unit which controlled the clutch depression and the gear changes.

The 147 GTA Selespeed unit was basically broken down into 2 operating units. The solenoid unit, which changed the gears, and a new, much larger, heavy duty hydraulic clutch rod unit . . . this thing meant business!!

Everything was beefed up to cope with the obviously much larger loads.

Now, I like to think I know my way around Selespeeds, and personally I only know of two or three 147 GTA SSpeed cars that have had ANY problems.

One had spent some time under the Brisbane river, hence was an electrical plug corrosion nightmare to the extent that I declined to chase down all the wayward electrons.

The second unit, well lets just say unless you want "Voldamort" to put a red hot poker up your ass, I wouldn't mention it!!

They are solid units, designed to handle all the GTA could swing at it, they are not "Golden" but they are pretty bullet proof. And I have been lucky enough to take several for test runs though the hills around Mount Cotton here. I always promise the owner (now strapped in the left seat and under tranquilisers) that I will get it up on two wheels . . .and neither of them on the same side!!

BY DOG if you think a 3.2 GTA works motor is fun when shoe horned into a tiny little 2.0 hatch, add the instant, rapid, sequential gear change of the "flappy Paddles" and all I can say is "OH LORDY, LORDY!"

But, the honest truth is that it is STILL nowhere as exceptional as the Selespeed units in the 159s, now those are just so slick, effortless, most of the shifts are NEVER even noticed! Go take a well maintained and serviced 2.2 JTS 159 for a drive AFTER driving say a 156 S/Speed, its like you were just driving a Jamaican Tin Can Band in comparison.

And that's where we finally come to . . maintenance, even the 147 GTA S/Speed needs at least a yearly calibration and service. Just make sure you buy one that has been properly serviced BY PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING and I think you will be spending more of your driving time up in the hills than you thin.

Just my two bits for whats its worth.     :o

Check Six

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

105greg

Thank you Baz for your raising the hairs on my back with your informed opinion . I am nervously now seriously considering this . If it all goes bad I'm sending my wife down with a rolling pin.  By the way can you recommend someone in QLD who can do this for me Pm if you want .   I am north of sunny coast .  Anybody else got any ideas.  Thanks for the feed back

bazzbazz

Ahhh, do WHAT exactly for you, and any ideas about what?   ???

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

105greg

Oh sorry    Selespeed calibrations in QLD. Who would you recommend

pasey25

In qld I would recommend Baz himself, given he probably won't say it in this thread.

I love my GTA sele. And I bought it so my wife could drive it too. I've had to stump up to maintain it, but it's been worth it
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100