Oil temp gauge....

Started by SusSelesp, November 19, 2016, 02:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SusSelesp

Being a 2.2 petrol I have an oil temp gauge (which doesn't work) - not that its uncommon but has anyone had it fixed before and if so is it costly??? I read on the UK forums that it's a big job and lots of labour hours ... and not worth the $ to fix? I kinda like everything to work on the dash though...

bazzbazz

Good news, its a 2.2 jts not the 3.2 V6

You still have to remove the sump and the sensor is bolted down with two 10mm bolts. The wire is clipped in, remove the c clip holding the connector in.

Depending on your mech skills and tool collection it may take you a couple of hours. The sensor is the usual culprit, but before you go ripping into it, see if you can find someone/where that has a Diagnostic Suite and get them to check that the gauge IS working correctly. I know personally of two people that just took off the sump, replaced the sensor only to find the gauge was as dead as an extended Volkswagen Diesel Warranty!

Just be glad its not a v6 you have to remove the sub frame & 1/2 the engine.

Take note, the oil level sender and the oil temp sender use the same 4 pin connector on the sump, try cleaning and tightening the pins on this before taking the sump off.

Check Six

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

SusSelesp

Thanks Baz that really helpful info much appreciated. My mechanical skills extend to checking oil, water and washing and vacuuming but I'll check the connector first up ....

Thanks again....

Darryl

Quote from: bazzbazz on November 20, 2016, 04:28:37 AM
Good news, its a 2.2 jts not the 3.2 V6

Just be glad its not a v6 you have to remove the sub frame & 1/2 the engine.

My V6 was no hassle - replaced only one part....

Yes it was a whole new engine :) Possibly not much more labour than replacing the temp sensor... :o