Fuel filter spider

Started by The Count, October 23, 2016, 06:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzbazz

Check your cigarette lighter, does it work? If not replace  the fuse for cigarette lighter and the A/C will work, the A/C compressor runs off the same fuse as the cigarette lighter. (NO this is NOT a joke)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

The Count

OK... Will try to check those but thus far I can't seem to find the pressure switch. Any guidance on its location?
Baz... Have checked cigarette lighter and all accessible fuses to right of steering column and all check out OK as does the big 30 amp aircon fuse under the bonnet in front of passenger side dashboard.
We're whittling em down!
::)

bazzbazz

Well if the system is low on gas, it simply will not run as the pressure switch which is in the piping at the front lower right of the car won't allow it.

Time to take it to someone who services A/C systems.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

The Count

Quick update

Have run a tank of fuel through with injector cleaner but still faced with the same issues (i.e.any throttle to a cold started engine results in "cough, splutter, fart etc" and, once warm, there is still an issue with the power band cutting back around 3500 to 4000 rpm).
As suggested, it goes in to the Alfa dealer as I'm at a loss what to try next.

On the subject of the aircon, checked the clutch on the compressor and that works fine so it's off to the aircon people for a regas and pressure switch check.

Thanks for all suggestions and help.

Nick

The Count

And yet more...

In my continuing search for issues with the spider I would like to change the air filter but can't seem to find a "how-to" on this one.

Is it working top down or bottom up???

Attached is a pic of the housing taken from above so do I remove the MAF sensor and hose and take the lid off to replace the filter or do I do it from under the car?

Advice please???

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

The Count

Thanks Baz,
Will do.
More now on the mystery of fuel supply in the spider.
Problem has worsened now with some days where engine will not start first time and can take 3 or 4 tries. Happens when hot and cold.
More and more suspecting fuel pump as root cause. I believe mine is an "in tank" unit which I understand is accessible from the top through the boot????
Anyone replaced one of these and could give me a brief "how to"?
Nick

bazzbazz

Here you go, pic included.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-andamp-916-spider/319085-2001-spider-2-0-fuel-pump-location.html

There are 3 VERY important steps that this gentleman has left out -

1/ Have a fire extinguisher close at hand ready for emergency

2/ Once you have access to the fuel pump, disconnect the electrical connection and start and run the engine till it stalls, then try starting it again until it refuses to fire. This will remove all pressure in the system so that when you disconnect the fuel supply line fuel will be less likely to pour out.

3/ After depressurising the system disconnect the battery before carrying out any further work.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

The Count

Baz..

Thanks for that.. under way with the removal but have struck a problem with the simple command "Unscrew the retaining ring and the pump assembly can be carefully lifted out"....
WTF! The retaining ring on mine seems like it's welded into place and I cant even get it to start unscrewing (assuming that the retaining ring is the big plastic collar on the outside top once you've removed the metal plate cover.)
Any suggestions??? Have tried to tap with hammer and bit of wood as well as very blunt screwdriver and hammer but it does not want to budge and I'm worried that I will break it. (The new pump does NOT come with the retaining ring so will need to re-use this one.)
Any ideas welcome.
Nick

bazzbazz

YUP, everything you said is 100% correct, they can be pricks to remove, if you do break it you are screwed (no pun intended).

Now seeing you are removed from any locality where you can pop down to the local wreckers and pick up a spare I suggest you get a "Fuel Pump Bezel Removal Tool" made up. Simply get a H shaped tool made up without the two top legs, weld a 3/8" or 1/2" socket on top and your golden. The "legs" should be made so they engage the raised ribs that you were hammering on before. Must be rather robust so there is zero flex.

Anyone who can weld can make one up in short time at little cost, a slab at the most. Here is a link to one made up -

http://www.totallyalfa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=main.dspProduct&id=5

The main point is that you need something that will engage in 3-4 of the ribs solidly & enough height to clear the top of the pump.

Have fun.   ;)

Baz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

105greg

This may. Help.  I literally just fitted my new pump.  On installing you basically have to push the pump down in its seat as it seems to be on some spring mechanism so you can fit the cap.  I'm wondering if you get someone to push down on the pump while you try to hit it off it may release the tension.   Worth a try.    Pm me if you like.   Oh and by the way if you are looking for a new pump give them the vins as the one I thought was right was wrong.   Any way all sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzbazz

One point to remember, the older the plastic, the more brittle it becomes.

As Greg has done, I too have simply used the judicious use of a hammer and a appropriate sized punch, but the first time I tried it this way I snapped the Bezel.  :o
Since then I have learnt the hard way just how hard you can, and can not, wallop these things.

" Oh and by the way if you are looking for a new pump give them the vins as the one I thought was right was wrong.   Any way all sorted"

REALLY!  ???

When you ordered the pump from the guys at PEC you checked with them and gave them the model and year number?

Sorry if I put you onto the wrong one. I have just installed one of those that I posted into both a 156 GTA and a GT 3.2.
I must have not realised the year of your GTA, sorry, my bad if I gave you the wrong link.   :-\
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

105greg

Absolutely not bazza.    My mistake . I presumed from the specs on eBay that it was right.  I was prompted by pec to confirm my vin etc and they advised what i presumed was right was wrong.  They sorted it all out for me my problem.  Just goes to show when buying stuff double check.  The pump ended up more expensive but hey. That's what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzbazz

Well, even more good news to hand, after txt'ing with Greg apparently his car is no longer "stinking" either.  ???
(Guess he found more than just spare change under the rear seat?)   :o

;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

The Count

Well, for less than the cost of a slab, I got one of these sent to me from one of our major online auto spares stores so look out fuel pump, here I come (once my new pump arrives)
Nick