81GTV eligible???

Started by will lesslie, August 04, 2016, 12:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will lesslie

hi Guys,
Topic subject states it all, i have been Building up an 81GTV as a race car, but overheard somewhere that it is ineligible due to age, but there are no major advancements from 79-81 so confused, anyone can lend a hand that would be tops...

Cheers
Will
The closer you are to death the more alive you feel, its a wonderful way to live, and the only way to drive..

Mick A

Hi Will,

It's fine for a track days/sprints.
You can't use it in Group S historic racing, as it only allows cars up to 1980.
The only historic racing it's eligible for is Regularity.
Otherwise you can race it in the state series Improved Production.

Are you the young bloke that's been putting up the youtube videos of putting your car together?

If you are, you need to fix your brake calipers, you put them on upside down in the video.

Mick.

hmd

Quote from: Mick A on August 04, 2016, 10:55:18 PM
You can't use it in Group S historic racing, as it only allows cars up to 1980.

Group Sc is for non-turbo charged production sports cars generally manufactured and available in Australia between 1st January 1970 and 31st December 1977 with the inclusion of model run-ons.

1979 GTV is eligible because it considered to be a run-ons of 1977 GTV model. i.e pretty much identical steel bumpers and all.   

Neil Choi

As mentioned already by Mick and Hung.
Basically steel bumper GTV's, plus they look better.
Check this out for clarification.
http://www.cams.com.au/motor-sport/sport/historics/logbooks-and-cods/certificate-of-description-log-books/group-s-specifications
If still interested, there are several out there well built and for sale, figure out what you want to spend and they could be out there.  And also where you want to be in the field.
Give me a yell if you want to buy one.
PS cheaper to buy one than to build one from scratch.

Neil Choi

Just reread your post. 
To clarify, if you want to do Historic racing, Gp S or Gp N, then check out the regulations.
If just for club sprints, you can do anything as long as it fits in with your state club's regs.
Or build according to improved production, sports sedan etc.

Mick A

And most importantly, sort out your brake callipers!

Neil Choi

He has, good fellow.
Come down to Winton for our sprints and Alfa Racing, you will have a ball, worth the trip.

Mick A

I second what Neil has said, the AROCA sprints will be perfect for you to learn your race craft and improve your car and driving. Plenty of experienced people at every event who will be more than willing to pass on knowledge and help out at the track with any car issues.

will lesslie

Quote from: Mick A on August 13, 2016, 10:09:11 PM
I second what Neil has said, the AROCA sprints will be perfect for you to learn your race craft and improve your car and driving. Plenty of experienced people at every event who will be more than willing to pass on knowledge and help out at the track with any car issues.

Sorry, just got back on, The car was all fixed up, we ran it at wakefield and Marulan, loved it. These AROCA things seem good, shame about the whole 81 thing, technically with the exception of  bumpers they are pretty similar arn't they? anyways not going to take on CAMS and everyone, but if someone can link me to the AROCA track sprints things that would be tops, And yes Mick, they were upside down, Realised that when the car didn't brake when we did a driveway run....
The closer you are to death the more alive you feel, its a wonderful way to live, and the only way to drive..

Neil Choi

I dare to you to take on CAMS.

aggie57

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list