147 GTA

Started by SUBIT0, April 21, 2008, 11:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUBIT0

JUST THOUGHT I MIGHT ASK FOR SOME PEOPLES EXPERIENCES WITH THE 147 GTA.

FIRSTLY DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE FRONT BEING LOW AND AT TIMES WHEN YOU TRAVEL DOWN A ROUGH RIDE THE UNDER TRAY SCRAPES?

ALSO WOULD BE CURIOUS TO HEAR WHAT PERFORMANCE MODS PEOPLE HAVE DONE TO THERES?

BY THE WAY MINE IS A 2006 SELESPEED MODEL.

Anth73

NOt an exact comparison but my 156 with the 2.5V6 suffered the same issue. It comes down to the weight of the V6 and crappy dampers. Consider upgrading the front dampers to Koni Yellows or Bilsteins...it makes a world of difference. Also, don't lower it! You will regret it! It makes the ride damn aweful. The spring rates are very firm on the factory springs.
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV
1982 GTV6 3L fast road build
1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce...the long term project
1970 1750 GTV project car for sale

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual
2012 159 2.4JTDm Sportwagon
1973 2000 GTV with a 1750 rear half...that was a shame!
Alfa 90 (only for its engine mounts)

Fast Eddie

the undertrays are prone to dropping down over time due to damage to the connection points so this can make it seem worse.  I had to replace the tray on my 156 GTA as it got too broken to stay up.

Don't forget the GTA is factory lowered too, significanlty lower than a standard 156, 147 so be very careful on speedhumps, driveways and cross overs etc.

A replacement sump guard if you can get one isnt cheap but mine was supplied and fitted by Lance Dixon's Doncaster
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Gary Pearce

Don't forget Stuart Thompson has had some carbon fibre (156 GTA) under trays made up. I think he has extras. Not sure if they fit 147's though.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

SUBIT0

Thanks guys. Well Im actually considering upgrading the struts and keeping the original springs. Was thinking of going down the koni path. I have noticed though that you can get autodelta coilovers, any advice? I have also found a guy selling a set of H & R Coilovers? Anyone had experience. I dont really want to make it any stiffer then it already is but maybe just ride over the bumps a little quicker and eliminate that flooting feeling you get. Though I am tempted in lowering the front about 10mm and the back 20mm.

AR116

A friend of Mine had a 147 GTA and he upgraded the whole suspension to Bilstein Fully adjustables. It really transformed the car. The name of the place that did it was Centreline suspension in Thomastown, Victoria if you are interested.

Gonardia

I just bought a '04 147 GTA and have already had a large 'scrape', it disrupted the function of a reverse light  :'(.  I will definitely be investing in an aluminum under tray and will not be lowering it.

I am very lucky, the previous owner has a lot of experience setting up 147 race cars.  He didn't change the suspension and had no plans to.  Instead he bought an uprated strut brace, which eliminated all body roll, the handling is stunning.

Other performance mods are:
Q2 diff.
Hi Tech racing exhaust, fantastic sound if a little loud.
330mm Brembo (front) w/ racing pads

PS. I'm not sure if the previous owner wants to be named. Many thanks to him anyway.
Baby: 04' 147 GTA by Prototipi Racing