My First Alfa

Started by Simon M, July 22, 2008, 12:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon M

Hi All,

Recently purchased a 1983 Alfasud Ti QV, 105 hp.
Its in pretty good condition but as you'd expect has a couple of little rust spots that need taking care of. Also has an electrical issue causing a fuse to short, leaving me with no rev, fuel or oil pressure gauge.
Hopefully the electrics aren't too much of an issue and will only take a short visit to the auto elec, and the rust although minor will still most likely have to be cut to stop it growing.

Cheers Simon 

Davidm1600

Hi Simon

Welcome to Alfa ownership and the forum.  I hope you find it interesting, helpful and that you get the best out of owning the Sud.  It looks like a nice Sud that you have aquired, and from what I understand the later cars were really very enjoyable to drive.

I would most definitely attend to the minor rust as soon as you can, since rust has killed off a lot of Suds, and Alfettas from that era. The electrics should be able to be sorted out fairly easily with help.  Join the club if you are interested, since I am sure you will find many new friends.  I am thinking about re-joing the Vic club even though I live in Tassie.

Cheers Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Victor Lee

Now this is interesting!

I believe that there were NO Australian delivered 105bhp Suds to Australia!

This is because:
1.  Club 900 Series guru Colin Thomas says so (!)  :D
2.  Bit of Club History:  In the mid 1980's, a certain Wayne Melville had his 95bhp Sud Ti converted to a factory spec 105bhp by Beninca Motors.  He was competing in Standard Under 1600 Class at the time and was winning his class comfortably.  There were some objections saying that he should be in Modified Class.  Wayne's response was that just because the 105bhp Suds were never sold in Australia, doesn't mean they don't exist.  And since his engine change was a full and complete overhaul, he should remain in Standard Class.  He won his case!

Interesting to note that our current and proposed Competition Rules are silent on that point:  "...as sold by Alfa Romeo..."; no mention of Alfa Romeo Australia!

Now, back to Simon's car:  I wonder if it's Wayne's car?  Or possibly a later 105bhp engine from an Alfa33 Green Clover Leaf?  Either way, it's a great rocket!  Enjoy it!
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Pete Y

Good to see someone bought that. I would've liked to.

VL : This car was from SA... of course, it could've moved.

BTW, David Wright's book claims that there were official 105hp S3 Suds from 82 to 83, and I know a guy who wrecked a QV with a 105hp. I mean, it's all hearsay, but just another side to it.

Obviously some of the earlier Suds and Sprints were down on power compared to the rest of the world though.
Mini/'02/Mini/2000 GTV/1750 Berlina/Alfasud Sprint/900 Aero/NB MX5/Punto/Mondeo XR5/up!/MiTo TCT

Ray Pignataro

Im going with Victor on this one .there were no 105 horsepower suds released in aus.motor may have been retro fitted from later model 33.I believe the difference was carb jetting cams and exhaust.

Simon M

Hi,

As Pete said I got this car from SA but the person who had sold it in SA had got it from Melbourne.
As with the 105bhp issue from the info i've been able to find on Tims Alfasud webpage the vin numbers in the car are consistent with those of the 105bhp Ti QV model.
I haven't been able to find out anything from the books that suggest it had an engine change. I'll have another look over the original books that came with the car and try figure out what I actually have.

Cheers Simon

Frank Musco

Hi,

Good to see you can still buy great looking Suds. Hope you get as much enjoyment from your car as I do from mine.

Suds Rule.

Pete Y

Well.. then if a standard S3 Ti had 95hp, why would Alfa Australia sell a "QV", with just some body cladding and not much else, same 95hp output?

I don't think there is any dispute that QVs were sold here...?
Mini/'02/Mini/2000 GTV/1750 Berlina/Alfasud Sprint/900 Aero/NB MX5/Punto/Mondeo XR5/up!/MiTo TCT