105 Suspension Refresh - Springs, change or not?

Started by GTV-074, September 02, 2016, 04:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTV-074

Just a discussion point, ideas, thoughts etc.

Whats the general consensus when refreshing (bushes, ball joints, shockers etc.) suspension (front or back) on the 'springs' ?

I always read of 'tired springs' etc., but do they need to be replaced, re-tensioned etc?

My Berlina has supposedly only done 60k miles and will be 'road' only - would the springs still need work?

Car sits fine at the moment, no drooping etc. so they 'appear' in good shape with no general harshness when driven.

Comments?

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

105gta

This is a hard question to answer as there really is so many variables.
For 105's it's not uncommon for the springs to 'age' eventually snapping around the spring seat. Unlikely in your case.
I could ramble for hours but I'll keep it quick.
Yes replace the springs as they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things.
Basically, the springs that came with your car were based around current tyre technology 40yrs ago. That has somewhat changed. If you want to keep your car as an occasional driver, with a bit of spirited fun and enjoy it. Then replace with the usual upgrades. Kings, Pace, Alfaholics etc... They are much more in tune with modern tyres unless you have a concourse car with period Michelin or Pirelli tyres.
Springs don't give you the harshness that most expect. Shock absorbers will. For a road car I'd suggest Koni reds with new springs and you'll have a nice compliant car thats comfortable to drive and still fun.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

GTV-074

Thanks for the reply....

I think I might change them as I am tending towards the slightly lower look. In the standard setup there is a fair bit of 'air' between
the top of the tyre and the lip on the guard at the front. Rears are a bit different but I am not running any wide rubber (185/70 14)
so it should be Ok.

Last time I changed springs was on my Giulia sedan but that was a daily driver with some occasional track use. Just went stiffer.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?