Greetings from the bush

Started by Keven Liersch, June 12, 2006, 11:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keven Liersch

Hi, I live midway between Melbourne and Adelaide in the Grain growing township of Warracknabeal so if you are ever around this way just drop in and have a chat.
have a look at my car,  a 1750 Berlina Engine,Floorpan and running gear  fitted with a J&S Hunter fibre glass body of which only about twenty were made and is at the moment in resto mode.   (the Berlina body was a write off in a rollover)

Being a member back in the seventies I can recall the old red and white Cross and Serpent and the Technical supplement shts.
and I couldn't forget the Dinner Dance at Merrimu with special guest Alfasud TI.
Yes I'm an Old and a new member "Old and grumpy too".  and glad to be back in the fold.

One and All,  I need your help.
During September I'll be staying in Milan for a couple of days before I head for Rome.
How do I get to see the Alfa Museum in Arese?
Do I need contacts,
Do I need  to book ahead or can I just barge straight up to the main gate?
And also is it possible to inspect the Alfa proving ground?
Any help will be gratefully received and taken on board.
Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers
Keven

Pete Y

What does the Hunter body look like?? Is it a sedan/coupe/spider...?? Some pics of the shell would be great. Welcome to the forum, though I cant say welcome to the club, because I havent paid my membership yet ;) Sshhh dont tell anyone :)
Mini/'02/Mini/2000 GTV/1750 Berlina/Alfasud Sprint/900 Aero/NB MX5/Punto/Mondeo XR5/up!/MiTo TCT

Evan Bottcher

Hello Keven,

Welcome back to the club!

Here's a link to the history section of the official Alfa Romeo website:

http://www.alfaromeo.com/cgi-bin/pbrand.dll/ALFAROMEO_COM/history/history.jsp

There's a menu in the right hand side of the page that includes "Alfa Romeo Museum" - click on that and you'll see further links to "How to get here" and "Virtual Tour".  I do not believe that you need to book for groups of less than 10, although I would recommend checking that the day you have planned is not a public holiday.

Fi and I went to the Museo in 2002 when we lived in England - we did not make any booking.  We drove a rental car and found our way after a few laps of the enormous Fiat/Alfa facility.  The Museo Storico is signposted - little weeney red and white signs that are easy to miss from memory.  You park in the car park and go visit the security guard cabin - he spoke no english but managed to wangle our passports out of us in exchange for visitor passes.  Limited directions so we wandered the halls of the administration buildings for a bit till we found the museum out the back.

The Museum itself is absolutely mind-boggling.  We were pretty much alone except for one older man who was measuring the guards on an older car (can't remember what it was) for a restoration project.  There was a cleaning lady as well.  Amazing selection of jaw-dropping cars - everything I'd ever seen and then as many Alfas that I'd never seen and probably won't see anywhere else.

Excellent stuff - hope you have a great time and take some photos for the Cross+Serpent!!!

P.S.  Very interested in the fibre glass body - do you have any photos?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

shane wescott

Glad to see you got the engine home safe and dry. looking forward to hearing about the car being rebuilt.

catch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Fast Eddie

Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

shane wescott

This would be one of yours Keith.

I think it will be much better based on Alfa than Holden :-)

http://www.rallysportmag.com/cms/A_103334/article.html

Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Evan Bottcher

Aha!  I did read that article in Australian Classic Car - a very pretty little fibreglass body indeed.  Yes I definitely would like to see this based on Alfa mechanicals.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Keven Liersch

Thanks Evan for the Info on the Museo.
Thanks Guys for your Warm welcome to the club.
Now tell me how do I insert  photos as I have pix of the J&S Hunter Pamphlet ? 

Evan Bottcher

I did write a short post here on how to upload pics:

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,61/topic,55.0/

good luck!  send me an email if you have any trouble.  (secretary@...)

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Keven Liersch

Hi guys,
A pamphlet of the J&S Fibre Glass Hunter Kit which I bought new in 1963.
Yes Shane it is the model that you have seen in the magazines of late. Geoff Bott of NSW has one and compets in his quite a lot.
Thanks Evan for the info .
Cheers
Keven

Keven Liersch

Tell me Why did I only get one photo on board last time, No, I must work it out for myself.
Keven

Keven Liersch

Lets try the center part of the J&S phamplet.
Keven