Radios in Alfas 1990-91?

Started by Victor Lee, July 04, 2016, 01:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

A club member put me onto this company: http://www.outofsightaudio.com

I've bought one of the units but haven't installed it. This is for our 1974 Alfasud, so I can have a 70s radio head unit for looks and radio passing through this hidden unit which will take over for Bluetooth audio.

I'll report back when it's fitted and I've tested it out...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

jazig.k

The McIntosh in the Subaru's was somewhat scaled down to fit the budget... Not quite what the original, purchased from supplier McIntosh is. That is what I understand it to be anyway. I don't mind if you prove me wrong.

The McIntosh units used to pop up second hand for around the $400~500 mark second hand, but that's 5+ years ago. I would think you can have them cheaper now. Pretty sure they don't have internal amps either, so you have to run an external amplifier. Been a long time so might be wrong about that...

There are a few amplifiers with built in bluetooth or other things like SD or USB which can operate without a head unit at all. I've bought up links and brands in other threads over the Alfa forums.

Victor Lee

Quote from: jazig.k on July 05, 2016, 09:09:59 AM
I've got the original accessories booklet with every head unit option for the 1988 Twinspark. There's about 6 of them. I can get some photos of it for you if you'd like?
Thanks for the offer, but not necessary yet.  But can you advise what brand are they?  Pioneer?

A main push for a period radio is to get the Alfa logo on the tape cassette door!

The McIntosh looks nice, if you can get one!

The device that Evan mention I assume only does Bluetooth audio?   A good possibility!

Bit more googling tonight!   :)
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Victor Lee on July 05, 2016, 07:51:40 PM
The device that Evan mention I assume only does Bluetooth audio?   A good possibility!

Yep, if you have a period radio/cassette wired through this box you can either have radio, cassette, or bluetooth audio.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

four90s

Speaking of Becker stereos, I'm looking for a Becker Montreal to go in a.....well you can work it out.

Only ever seen a photo of one, so if anyone sees one hanging around somewhere drop me a line.

Sorry to hijack your thread Victor.

Regards
Steve
Adelaide
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

Victor Lee

Quote from: four90s on July 06, 2016, 10:38:38 AM
Speaking of Becker stereos, I'm looking for a Becker Montreal to go in a.....well you can work it out.

Only ever seen a photo of one, so if anyone sees one hanging around somewhere drop me a line.

Sorry to hijack your thread Victor.

Regards
Steve
Adelaide

Hi Steve, so I've been checking modern radios with old styling, I came across this Becker one:
http://www.koenigs-klassik.de/Becker/Becker_Navi_im_Retro-Look/becker_navi_im_retro-look.html

Cheers,

Victor

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Victor Lee

Oops.  Just realised my previous post's link is the same radio that Sheldon put up before.  D'oh!   :o

But what is the "style" of 90's radios?  It appears until the late 70's/early 80's the radios had the control knobs on either side of the main facia with push buttons on the lower centre.  The tape deck was upper centre.   

Then in the 80's the control knobs became smaller and moved where ever on the facia.  LED then LCD displays (like calculator displays) came in.  Tape decks gave way to CD decks.

Now a days we have full colour LCD screens, fully illuminated and programmable colour buttons and no CD decks.  So back to the question: what is 90's radio styling? 

It seems if all I want is the Alfa logo on the tape deck lid, then the Pioneer units as shown previously is the go.  But if I want modern features, then anything is possible but it may "look" out of place.

There are some classic retro radios with modern features around but they look more suited for pre 70's cars
http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/

So I found this one:  Control knobs on both sides AND looks modern (but too modern!) AND modern features for a reasonable price.
https://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/VDO-CDD718UBBU-Car-Radio/VDO+CDD718UB+DAB+CD+Bluetooth+Car+Radio
Actually looks similar one that Sheldon mentioned!

Anyone got other ideas?

Thanks!

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Victor Lee on July 07, 2016, 08:38:08 AM
So back to the question: what is 90's radio styling? 

This.

Victor Lee

Well, this has been an interesting exercise!   So far in this post we've found the following radios were fitted to Alfas

Pioneer KEH-5070QR
Pioneer KEH-5150QR
Pioneer KE-1600QR

I was at Monza Motors yesterday and having a hunt out back and I found these-
Pioneer KE-A633AM
Pioneer KE-3040
Eurovox MCC-2300R
This is the same 2 channel Eurovox as fitted to my Alfa 33 GCL.  The 4 channel Eurovox (with a little joystick for the 4 channels) was fitted to the Alfa 33 Ti.  So I assume these were fitted to other Alfas in the mid 1980's until they changed to Pioneer.

My shortlist now is the Eurovox.  I just hope it works!

colcol

The Eurovox 2 channel was fitted to the GCL and TI 33, i know because i had one, but i upgraded to the 4 channel with the joystick.
Both were awfull head units, with them constantly breaking down,.....was quite happy when the one in the 33 was vandalised and i had an opportunity to replace it with a good Pioneer.
The name Euovox has long gone from the Australian scene, they went into receivership about 10 years ago, best of luck with repairs,...i can still remember their address for repairs, University place Clayton.
Really do miss the bluetooth and being able to talk on the phone hands free and not have to worry about blue lights appearing from somewhere, when driving a car with an older style head unit, my 2 cents worth anyway, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

I may have a use for that Pioneer KE-A633AM, Victor. Was it easy to find down at Monza?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Victor Lee

Quote from: colcol on July 10, 2016, 01:08:28 PM
The Eurovox 2 channel was fitted to the GCL and TI 33, i know because i had one, but i upgraded to the 4 channel with the joystick.
Both were awfull head units, with them constantly breaking down,.....was quite happy when the one in the 33 was vandalised and i had an opportunity to replace it with a good Pioneer.
The name Euovox has long gone from the Australian scene, they went into receivership about 10 years ago, best of luck with repairs,...i can still remember their address for repairs, University place Clayton.
Really do miss the bluetooth and being able to talk on the phone hands free and not have to worry about blue lights appearing from somewhere, when driving a car with an older style head unit, my 2 cents worth anyway, Colin.

Hi Col,  Interesting about the 4 channel thing.  A mate bought an Alfa 33 Ti a few months after me and he had the 4 channel Eurovox as standard.
I recall the only problem with my 2 channel unit was the left - right switch wasn't centred properly.

And I was pretty much set on the Eurovox until I read this!  Yes, I'll miss having no bluetooth maybe problematic.  Good 2 cents worth!

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on July 10, 2016, 01:28:10 PM
I may have a use for that Pioneer KE-A633AM, Victor. Was it easy to find down at Monza?
Hi Evan,  Tell Hugh I found it in the room where the Eurovox is!  ;)

LALFA

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/doreen/audio-gps-car-alarms/alfa-romeo-pioneer-original-car-radio-cassette-player/1119249201

just found this on gumtree, not 90s but the original gtv6 deck. I still have mine, might be of interest to someone else. Looks like good condition aswell

colcol

Same as a twin carb Sud, was quite a good unit, the only problem was that something went wrong with the tuner, and Pioneer said they could upgrade the tuner to a better unit, on the Alfa unit it had 6 AM stations for extra snap crackle and pop and 12 FM stations, but the upgraded tuner had 12 AM stations and only 6 FM stations as it was the same tuner out of a Ford Fairlane, [remember them?], and the more older Fairlane drivers prefered AM over FM.
The Pioneer unit was replaced by a Phillips head unit because it had AM stereo, [yes really], and it had preouts for a big sub woofer in the boot.
Always prefered Pioneer units, but thats just me, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

aggie57

Those Eurovox units with the joy stick were fitted to GTV6's. Really crappy as Colcol says. Sorry Victor but I threw away more than one....

If memory is right the cassette load mechanism used to play up after far to short a time. You'd push the cassette in and it'd pop straight back out.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list