New Alfa 159

Started by SusiesAlfa, July 17, 2008, 08:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SusiesAlfa

Hi

We just bought a new Alfa 159 a few months ago and i love it. It is great to drive and handles really well. I have a question about servicing. We had it in for its first service a few weeks ago and it cost us $300. This was through the dealer. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get my car services where i will not end up with a third world debt? A lot of the price was the Selenia Star oil which we worked out they are charging us about $50 a litre. Is there a substitute?
Thanks

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi Susie,

This is only my personal, non-expert, opinion.

I believe in supporting the Alfa brand's growth in Australia.  This includes trusting my servicing requirements to the business I purchased the car from.  This also helps avoid potential arguments over warranty claims.
At the same time, affordability and value for money are always very important.

If you really want a 2nd source option, I can highly recommend Maranello Motors - Pur Sang in Brunswick.  They have always provided me with exemplary service, advice and value for money.  You could also check out the 'Sponsors' link from the home page, for other options, including Alfa dealers.
Alternatively, buy a few litres of Selenia Star ($19.50/litre on eBay from Mille Miglia Motors) and throw them in the boot next time you take it back to the dealer for a service.

I would be keen to hear the opinions of other, more qualified members, as I may be talking absolute bollocks.

Cheers,

Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Gary Pearce

I would recommend you stick with the Dealer for your new car, as you are driving a quality performance car and you need Service to match. You are going to want to rely on Factory Service and Support to enhance your future driving experience and to obtain any Factory improvements that always come down the line with such a new model.  Also there is no substitute for good oil. I think depending on how many 'klicks per year' you are planning you will find the service costs OK.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

John Hanslow

Good point Gary. 

Stick with the dealer as $300 is not a lot to pay for peace of mind and motoring pleasure.  As for the oil, it's good  -  you can probably buy it cheaper or something similar at the local auto supermarket, ... but leave your car in the care of the experts.  You are better off in the long run as they are trained in the servicing of your car.

My car is 20 years old (my economic choice) but if I regularly paid $300 for a service, I would jump for joy. Due to cars age bits need replacing and repairing.  That can be expensive. 

Even with my older car, I would not take it to anyone except an alfa mechanic professional.  A brief encounter with RACV once really caused an issue as so many people in the trade do not understand the nature of a European car.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata