[FS] 1978 Alfetta GTV Project Race Car + Shell $3500 [NEG]

Started by orgigeorgie, June 04, 2016, 08:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orgigeorgie

Hi Guys,

I am selling my 1977/78 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV. This was to be originally converted into a race car by myself and my good friend. Two uni students who were so keen on becoming Steve McQueen duplicates, using our engineering skills and creative energy to bring forward a sweet little car we could enjoy to work on, do some brotherly bonding and become skilled drivers. Pretty boss right? Well as it turns out no amount of spreadsheets prepares you for the financial hole that is the 'race car'. That wasn't much of a problem for us, because we'd just chip away at it and go at our own pace learning, being constantly hungry and occassionally doing some work. (apologies for the lack of pictures - can take some more if people are interested).

However now, we're both at the end of our degrees. Doing the whole adult thing has us both a little perplexed and we're back to page one of the life manual. In the 3 years we've had this car, we've made a pretty cool monument. It sits so elegantly in the dark. I bought a GTV6 18 months ago and am pumping money into that; my friend now has a human girlfriend and is pumping money into that. So there really isn't much love being thrown at our small little GTV. Because I have a GTV6 i am little bit less sad, but my mate is already lamenting the fact his human girlfriend isn't quiet as responsive as what this Alfa was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EP7kBm8Xv7U

Yeh the car drives! It was sitting around for a number of years, probably about 6 or so before we bought it. We actually managed to get it started with some fresh fuel, battery, spark plugs and some timing adjustments. We drove it around for about 3 months before putting it where it is now, in a big shed in Keilor. We haven't driven it in a year, and there is no battery. I'll be honest though, the body is a peice of shit: rust in the sill, the A pilllar has rusted through and some on the tail gate. Pretty useful for weight saving, not so useful for cornering, braking, general driving etc. But relax, we were able to score a pretty sweet shell. WITH NO RUST!! Yeh this sale comes with a shell.

The shell has been seam welded, etch primered and a few coats of primer. This wasn't done by us, it was done by a pro. There are some dints but  this shell was always intended for race car use. We removed pretty much all the surface rust and reprimered it. The areas that aren't removed are obvious and require a little bit of elbow grease. There are a few areas that require some welding, but nothing that is extensive. We will supply you on your journey with a spare rear valance and bonnet too, should you require them.

A few things the pictures do not show is that the shell has the outside prepped and primered too.

So what you really have is a a blank canvas to do whatever the hell you please with. Race car, spare body panels, engine, g box, whatever. You do you.

A few things about the car. The interior is missing. It was pretty much completely dissassembled ready to be built into a racer when we bought it, so it had Alfa 33ti seats in it. We didn't care because it was going to get race seats anyway. I think we have the interior somewhere should you require it, but it will need a full make over anyway. It comes with 2 sets of rims, steelies and campagnolos (14" and 15" respectively).

These are hard to come by, maybe more common in this condition and it requires work and skill so we're asking only $4000 for the whole lot, but having said that we are negotiable. We've been helped by the Alfa community and we'd happily help out on price too if you're a top bloke/chick. You wont offend us with offers, we're chillers. You will need to sort out transport however, but we'll help you load it on and stuff. Obviously 2 trips to collect the shell.

It is located in Keilor and I don't live there, so if you'd like to check it out - let me know and we can find a time that suits us both. If you are interested feel free to email me at g.barboutov at gmail dot com. Or give me a call on 0405 539 seven seven nine.

Regards,

George

$3500 Negotiable :)
156 GTA | 156 TS | GTV6

orgigeorgie

Hey guys,

after some discussion we've decided to drop this a little further. This is below our break even price on the car.

Now $2500 NEG

Regards,

George
156 GTA | 156 TS | GTV6